Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 8: Death Guard Champion conversion

Considering the goals I set to paint this army fast, you really would have expected faster progress than this... I thought Death Guard would make a good quick army as I would have less conversions to do. I guess I've gotten a bit carried away with adding detail and so assembly is taking me a long time. Here is an update of the progress I am slowly making.

Here is a champion with power fist. Torso is from the Forge World Death Guard kit. I added some tentacles, cables, and a metal tabard and extra armour on the legs from plasticard. It is hard to see in the picture, but I also added some fungus vents at the top of the backpack (the white really washes out in photos).

The tentacles will be a bit of a theme with the force. I am hoping to make them not too over the top though. 

The cable is from Dragon Forge.

I also sculpted some more torsos to fit in with the Forge World torsos. I am hoping to make a press mold of the one in the center to save some time on future models...


I am quite fond of this one. I recently started using Gale Force 9 green stuff as it is way cheaper. It seems a little easier to smooth. I like it.

Here is a picture of the colour scheme I am planning to use. Specifically, the rust and eyes. I am still undecided on how to paint the green. This model is still not finished. 

Mostly because I don't want to paint the wood.

Thanks for visiting. Check back soon as I hope to have this squad assembled and painted soon(ish). I am still waiting for some more pewter cables to arrive. Once they do I will be able to finish the plague marine squad. Welcome to colonel schofer, our newest member! Hasta proxima!

10 comments:

  1. Really dig the WIP shots on how you created these bloated beast. The rust and eyes look spot on but I feel that the green could be a shade lighter/softer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green is not quite so bright in real life. The camera overexposed and over saturated a bit. I agree though and I am thinking about some different ways to do the final models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marines look great. Really nice smooth sculpting. I'll have to take a look at that GaleForce9 GS, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are looking great Cam both the conversions and the colour scheme. I just had an idea that it would be sweet to see a marine with corrupted Laurels. You know how lots of the loyal marines have Laurels on their helmet. While a nurgle version could be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sean. That would be some tiny sculpting though! I will see what I can do. I'll try to do one on a helmet, but I may have to settle for a shoulder pad. I was thinking twisted tentacles around a skull, like a laurel but totally twisted. Thanks for the idea!

    If anyone else has ideas, I am happy for more ideas to try and incorporate into these models.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the little extra details. I think they make the models. I'd say to keep taking your time on them. The attention to detail with the paint scheme in the end will really push them over the top in terms of quality.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ron. Your attention to detail on your conversions inspires me to improve the quality and cleanliness of my own conversions. Now if only I could paint with the level of detail and color choice you have too....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, but most of my inspiration comes from what you guys are doing out there.
    I really like the hip and waist armour plates you've added to him too.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's like a mutual admiration club. This is what I love about the hobby blogosphere though, there is so much creative and interesting things out there to inspire people. I know I get tons of great ideas from the blogs each day. It really pushes me to improve what I do.

    I am quite partial to the extra armour too. It was pretty easy to do. I think it helps to balance the model by giving more size to the slim upper legs to balance out the bloated torso.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did something similar with a Custodes conversion once. I used the marine terminator groin plates as power armoured hip plates. They fit perfectly and give you a curved piece of armour. Just shave off the iconography and you're good to go.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...