Sunday, February 5, 2012

Plagus Mechanicus

I'm still trying to figure out how to make a 40k army work with the models I want to use. As I wrote last week, I was considering using my renegades as Grey Knights henchmen. The only issue with that idea was that they really were lacking a strong theme (other than corrupted and gross). It felt a bit too much like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Now, I am considering making an army based around a Nurgle infested Dark Mechanicus force called Plagus Mechanicus. This force will allow me to use a list I like, build a quality army that can potentially be used with a new chaos book, and has huge conversion and modelling potential.

As I wrote in my last counts as post, I really like the potential offered by the Grey Knights codex. I like that I can have an elite force, less vehicles, and a mix of marines and guard equivalents. I enjoy playing with elite armies that individually are much better than the opposition. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just can't deal with many things at once. When my unit gets where I want it, I want it to crush the opposition. My fantasy armies (5th edition Bretonians (the hardest word to spell!), 7th/8th edition Warriors of Chaos) were the same way. I would like to include a few vehicles but I really don't want to be reliant on having a fully mechanized force as it is hard to transport and expensive to buy. Finally, I want to have both marines and some piddly humans too.

There is a lot of uncertainty with the future of 40k just now with rumours of a new rule set and a new chaos codex on the horizon. A Plagus Mechanicus force gives me some flexibility in this regard. If a new chaos codex allows hecnhmen/renegades mixed with marines then I could potentially adapt the army to use this new codex. The Grey Knight codex is also new and should stay competitive for a long time. I don't plan to abuse counts as but I like to have different options.

The number one reason I want to build this army is for the potential for conversions and modelling. I really like sculpting and modelling and this force would offer that opportunity in spades. I like sculpting robes and nurgly bits. I also like adding cables for a rotten tech look. This would be a melding of two different ideas and offers the potential to be creative and build things in my own way. I like death guard but I have been a bit uninterested in their paint scheme and the fact that so much of the look is a bit predetermined.

Here are my ideas for units and a list so far:

Coteaz-Allows henchmen to be troops. Model his as some sort of techpriest.
Psykers-modelled from flagellants to be floating, hooded with robes and gas masks.
Death cult assasins-modelled from dark eldar or some sort, give them masks to fit the theme
Marines-Modelled with chaos marine torsos, and a mix of different arms. Legs will be elongated with robes and cables. Make them look half machine and half human. Mount some of the weapons on backpacks.
Henchmen-different henchmen made from skaven stormvermin, cadians, flagellants, etc.
Servitors-as I made them before.
Dreadnoughts-As usual but modelled to fit the theme.
Techpriest-pretty standard
Terminators-I want to include them but have no ideas on how to make them fit the theme. Maybe give them four spider like walking legs? Any ideas?

Feedback and thoughts on a build like this are appreciated. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats as it looks like you had your Sunday Best on when you published this post. Hope you don't mind me throwing you a shout out on my weekly themed top x. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started working on basically the same idea. I only play friendly games though, and my group is fine with non-standard models, so I'm using two Blight Drones as the Psyflemen in the list. Hope to see pictures of what you get working. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm. Blight drones. I have most of the models for a death guard force so I think I will build a death guard squad with the hopes that a new chaos codex allows me to build some more interesting forces. In the mean time I will cheerfully get destroyed trying to run an army in the style I want to play.

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...