Monday, May 28, 2012

Showcase: Pegleg, Ork Pirate

Here are some pictures of the finished Ork Pirate. As I wrote in the WIP blog entry, this model was a bonus for the prisoner exchange. The model is based on an Assault on Black Reach Nob with some conversions.

This model was done as a test for my upcoming Pirate Ork warband and was painted to fit the colours of Mordheimer's existing ork squad.


The base is from my brick basing tutorial. The label was printed on the computer, glued on, varnished, and weathered with washes.

The red was painted with the new GW Mephiston Red. The red went on smoothly and had great coverage. Really impressed with it. I then weathered the red by stippling dark brown, some metal, and adding some rust and highlighted edges.

Here he is with the renegade I received from DeafNala. The pirate ork theme was heavily influenced by  Warboss Kurgan's Orc Pirates. I am planning to build a full squad of these to take over the high seas...

Thanks for visiting. Check back soon for more pirate orks, my converted nurgle daemon prince, and some hobby tips. See you soon!

10 comments:

  1. Gnarly old bugger! Love it, bravo sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, he's fantastic, Cameron! I still have exactly that Nob lying around and wanted to convert him into some sort of Twist/Mutie for INQ28, but now you've made me seriously reconsider that...

    ...I hope you're proud of yourself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.

    KrautScientist-I quite like these AoBR bodies. Nice and solid for converting. The detail is pretty big, so it is easy to work with it and around it. I think some of the 1 piece ork bodies look nicer than the sometimes awkward two piece ball and socket orks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought that the one deficiency of the AOBR nobs was the fact that one of their arms is always held close to their side while the other one tends to stick out at a fairly odd angle. But you managed to work around that rather beautifully with the hook on the model's right arm! Once again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, models with very stock poses can get annoying. The ork with an arm up in the air does both me a bit, as the pose is so common. I don't worry about arms too much though, as I know that with these models I will likely be cutting most of the arms off and modifying and replacing them. One of my favourite things about these models is how easy and quick they are to assemble and clean mold lines on since they are one piece.

    I'd be interested to see your mutant take on the AoBR nobs. I've seen orks used as humans a few times. Sometimes they are good and sometimes they look really awkward.

    I love the custom models that come out of Inq28 projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't done anything with that nob yet, but maybe this is also interesting to you:

      http://eternalhunt.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/inquisitor-28-chrono-gladiator-klytus/

      I used an old Ork boy to convert a Chrono-gladiator for my INQ28 warband. Good or awkward? Your call ;-)

      Delete
  6. I think he looks great. The background is great and the model looks really tortured. I will add your blog to the blog roll here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cameron, that's really nice of you ;-) Also glad you like the model!

      Delete
  7. Great job! I love all the subtle tone changes in the tans and browns to paint the different pieces. You're spot on with the rust too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Baraccas. The changes in browns are mostly due to the airbrush.

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...