Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sculpted cobblestone bases

Here is a small set of bases I have sculpted for my pirate ork squad. I wanted to build a showcase set of bases sculpted from greenstuff. I used the press mold brick base tutorial I made a few months ago to create most of the stonework. I then added details like wooden planks, sewer grates, manhole covers, sidewalk, pipes, chains, and other items to spice them up a bit. These bases still need some sand added to them before they are completely finished.
40mm round base for a troll.
I have built sixteen bases so far. Each of the bases for this squad will be individually sculpted. In the future, I would like to sculpt some bases for distribution through another company. This project was a way to practice and get some examples of the work I can do. I'm interested in producing some bases for resin casting and sale, but I am not really interested in doing much resin casting myself. I'm planning to build up a small portfolio of sample work and then contact some companies to see if they would be interested in carrying some of my work.

Set 1


Set 2


Feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated. What details should I add to the next 10 bases in this set? What other base types/sets would you like to see? Thanks for visiting.

I've also added in a hybrid banner as suggested in the banner voting blog entry a few weeks ago. What do you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. Those are very cool. For ideas, not forget that people back in pirate times weren't known for their care of the environment and discarded bottels and other refuse of the time upon the ground, especially in a port-type setting. Perhaps food leftovers, apple cores, rats eating apple cores, etc?

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...