Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Painted V-1 flying bomb from Flames of War Open Fire

And now for something completely different; a foray into the world of 15mm warfare. There is a local group playing weekly Flames of War games. After checking out a game I decided to take the plunge and purchase Battlefront's excellent new Open Fire starter set. This model is a V-1 flying "buzz bomb". It is a terrain piece from the starter set.

The starter set is great value. I traded my Germans with another local player to get a second set of Allies (British and Americans). In total I know have a legitimate 1,800-2,000 point force built from only the starter set (for less than 2/3 of the price of GW's new starter). I will review the starter set once I have had the opportunity to paint a few more of the models. For now I will just say that I am hugely impressed by the thought and quality put into the content of the starter set. The addition of force lists (yes, you can play without buying a codex!), 2D terrain and counters, a brief painting guide, online painting videos, quick start rules and more make this starter set a great way to get into the game.

Back to the model... After looking at many pictures I was excited to try out a German camouflage pattern using my airbrush. I painted this model pretty quickly. I airbrushed Vallejo Model Air Middlestone on the whole ramp. I then airbrushed small patches of VMA Tank Brown and Russian Green for the camo areas. I then washed the ramp with thinned Citadel Gryphonne Sepia and the lightly drybrushed some Middlestone and VMA Sand over the top areas and adding a little metal along the runners to simulate wear.
To paint the flying bomb I airbrushed the whole bomb Vallejo Model Air Light Sea Grey. I then sprayed VMA German Green from the top (the pictures I have seen show the green to be a soft transition like this one). I then did a thin wash with Devlan Mud to finish it off.
I had a lot of fun painting this model. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to paint some more German armour in the future. Unfortunately my British Armoured Division will be a bit more bland as they did not use camo in the Normandy campaign. Maybe that will make them faster the paint...?

I also did a few experiments in different patterns by painting a small wooden block as a quick test.

I've made some progress on base coating and assembling the Sherman Vs. I am hoping to have some finished later this week. I know that most visitors to this blog come for the 40k modelling content, but please post in the comments what you would like to see for Flames of War content and I will try to add it to the blog. I will add a poll at the top of the blog on what you would like to see for future articles.
Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. Nice paint job. And yes, please post FoW content too, even if someone is interested in mostly 40k, the eye candy is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice- I play World of Tanks- some FOW is much apreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I will add more Flames of War models as I complete them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you did your V1. It is always a good idea to play around with the camo effects and yours turned out quite nicely. Yeah German armour can be more interesting to paint up that allied due to the camo, however a couple of things that may interest you. I'm pretty sure that the English used "mickey mouse" camo on some of their AFVs, and there is a technique called colour modulation which can really make a single coloured vehicle look amazing. Just some thoughts, great work

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...