Sunday, December 23, 2012

Showcase: Trollbloods Madrak Ironhide World Ender

I've finished painting this commission for the Madrak Ironhide World Ender model for the Trolbloods faction from Hordes/Warmachine. I tried some new techniques for painting the skin and tartan on this model. I enhanced the base by increasing the height of the model using cork and adding detail in the final basing.



This was my first time painting a Privateer Press model. Painting the light skin and the tartan was very challenging. The model itself was very detailed and enjoyable to paint. Lots of the detail was very raised and took paint very well.
The face was especially enjoyable as I found it was easy to add a lot of expression. There is a lot of detail here. The eyes have both upper and lower eye lids. I tried to make the skin tone kind of chalky like Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi. The face just kind of fit that look for me.
I painted the tartan by painting Citadel Snakebite Leather on the kilt areas. I then shaded with a dark brown, highlighted, and washed. I then did the dark green lines, outlined them in red, and drew a few red vertical lines to loosely match the pattern on the stock model.
The verdigris on the axe was fun to do. I might write a little tutorial on it soon.

It took me a while to get this model done as it was so different from anything I had done before. I am pleased with how it finally came out. Hopefully the client enjoys it and it sees lots of action on the table!

Happy holidays everyone! Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Great work on the tartan in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, I really like how the runes pop out and the light sourcing effect around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work. Have you considered entering into a weathering competition? I think there's one at Gen Con sponsored by one of the vendors. Your's looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an outstanding job, C! I am very happy with your work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...