Step 1: Prime the model
I primed these models with a simple grey spray paint. Any primer will work. A light colour will be easier to get coverage of your base colour.
Step 2: Base coat
I used the airbrush to quickly base coat the solid colour on the models. You could just as easily use spray paint or brush on the base coat. I based this model in Vallejo Model Air Light Sea Blue, as I was using it on another model. The orange containers were base coated with a 15 year old pot of Citadel Blazing Orange (not a good idea, it was strange paint after so long).
Step 3: Stencil the lettering
I used a standard lettering stencil and white paint to paint on most of the stenciled letters. I used some letters cut out of some masking tape for the thicker letters.
Step 4: Add decals
I didn't want to freehand tiny letters. Instead, I used number decals from the Cadian infantry box to add numbers and a few other symbols to the containers.
Step 5: Wash
I then washed the entire model with a brown wash. Any commercial wash or just paint and water will work. I kept it thin.
Step 6: Chips
I painted the chips by using a sponge to dab chips of dark brown all over the models. Dip a sponge into the paint and then dab it on some paper until it is mostly dry. Then dab it on the model where you would like wear and chips. I used a mix of Vallejo Charred Brown and Black. Any dark brown will work. I also painted the dark brown into the broken areas of the model.
Step 7: Metal
I then did the same thing with some old Citadel Boltgun metal. I tried to focus on putting the metal somewhat inside the brown areas.
Step 8: Dirt and rust
Next, I airbrushed Vallejo Model Air (VMA) Burnt Umber at the edges of each panel. I also did lines below chips to show some rust streaks on the metal. You could do this step using a brush by carefully drybrushing in the same areas.
Step 9: Add graffiti (optional)
If you would like, you can add graffiti on the container using the tutorial on airbrushing graffiti.
Step 10: Dirt
To tone down the graffiti and add some dirt around the bottom of the container, lightly airbrush or dry brush a dirt colour around the bottom of the container and anywhere you want to tone down the colour. I used VMA Dark Earth for this.
Step 11: Streaks
Finally, I added a few drips and streaks running down the container using Citadel Gryphon Sepia (now Seraphim Sepia I believe). I used a brush with lots of wash and slowly brought it down from the point where I wanted the rust to start.
Done! Here are a few pictures of the finished model. Tomorrow I will have some pictures to put up of the first five finished shipping containers. Thanks for visiting.
Other shipping container links