Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Painted modular 40k canal terrain

Here are some pictures of my painted modular canals. I started this project a year ago and even included a tutorial on how to build modular canals. At the time I promised they would be painted by the end of the month. Oops! I guess I was waiting to improve my skills. The first set is completely painted now. After the jump are more pictures and some information about how I painted them.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Works in progress

Here are some work in progress pictures of some Death Guard, Dark Vengeance model, and a Trollblood. After a brief period of finishing a model before starting the next, I am back to half-finishing projects. I've been playing around with lots of different things on my airbrush and trying some new techniques.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Death Guard Rhinos #2 and #3

I painted another two Death Guard Rhinos. These models were painted in the same manner as the rhino I showed on Saturday. I made a few changes for these two. I added an additional highlight using the airbrush. I also painted a few more details (lenses, skulls, etc) by hand. The models were still very fast to paint. I think I spent 4-5 hours in total painting these two. I am also going to test out using this colour scheme on my infantry models. The lighter colour will provide more options for weathering and fun on the regular marine and terminator models. I've included an outline of the steps I used below.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Death Guard Rhino #1

I finished painting the first Rhino for my Death Guard army. I finished the conversion of this model in March, and started painting it, but didn't finish painting it until now. This is the first 40k vehicle I have painted. I decided to do as much of the painting as possible by airbrush. I only used a brush to apply weathering powders at the end. Most of the rust was done with the airbrush first. The model was base coated with Vallejo Model Air Duck Egg Green and then shadows were painted using Olive Drab. I used VMA Orange and Burnt Umber for the rust.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tutorial: Building custom industrial bases

In this tutorial I will show you how I built some simple and effective industrial bases for a Necromunda gang I am currently assembling. These bases were made primarily out of plasticard with some greenstuff used for the toxic water. The bases were then painted using a brush and airbrush. This tutorial will show you how to quickly make these bases.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Airbrushed Mordheim building

In a shocking turn of events, I have finally painted a building I constructed two years ago! I used my airbrush to quickly paint and weather the two parts of the building. The pictures are not great as I could not fit the building into my light box. The building was already partially base coated before I started. I repainted everything except the wood and added weathering. Total time for painting was about 1.5 hours.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Tutorial: Airbrushing Imperial Fist power armour

In this tutorial I will show a brief step by step of how I painted the power armour on this Imperial Fist terminator. This tutorial uses an airbrush to create the shading and highlights but a similar effect could be achieve using standard feathering and blending techniques. The advantage of airbrushing in this manner is that you can get blended highlights in much less time and without any sharp transitions between colours.The airbrushing in this tutorial is a bit more complex than simple zenithal highlights and gives a bit of a more stylized look with dramatic shadows and shading.

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...