After a lot of discussion on this blog and the forums on the disc camouflage panther I posted this week I thought it would be interesting to have a bit of an open community discussion about the best way to paint this interesting camouflage pattern on 15mm models.
Monday, April 22, 2013
Thursday, April 18, 2013
This paint job was an experiment. I have seen a few attempts to recreate the disc camouflage pattern in 15mm scale but none that I feel have really created the feel of the distinctive pattern. This model was my first attempt to recreate this pattern across an entire model. The Panther model used is the Plastic Soldier Company 15mm Panther G model. The model was painted using an airbrush and a variety of masks and stencils.
Saturday, April 13, 2013
I've finished painting my turretless Stuarts for my 11th Armoured Division company. I built the Stuarts so they can be used both with turret and without turret. The models are based on the Battlefront M5A1 Stuart and the British Stuart V. A few months back I wrote a short tutorial on converting turretless Stuarts.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Yesterday I posted pictures of a completed Jagdpanther painted in three colour camouflage. In this tutorial I will quickly show you how I painted the camouflage stripes. This method was pretty fast. It took me about thirty minutes or so to paint the camouflage on this model. I used silly putty for masking. This tutorial uses an airbrush for most of the camouflage painting steps.
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
A friend asked me to paint a Flames of War Jagdpanther up for him. The Jagdpanther is a tank destroyer built on the panther chassis. In Flames of War it is a formidable adversary with thick front armour and anti-tank 16 (same gun as the King Tiger!). This model was a pleasure to paint. I really like the boxy look of German tanks with fixed guns. I didn't assemble this model but all of the parts seemed to fit well and there was minimal flash and no miscasting on the model.
Friday, April 5, 2013
Here are some painted train tracks. The tracks are HO scale. I intended them to be used for 15mm scale in Flames of War but they will probably work decently in 28mm scale as well. The tracks are some plastic tracks I found at the hobby store. Each section is 9 inches long. They were simple to put together, will be easy to store, and clip together nicely for use on the tabletop.
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
After a bit of a hiatus I have painted another chaos cultist model. This model was built from the plastic chaos sorcerer lord body, a slaanesh lord head, and a chaos possessed arm. I painted this as part of a kitbash challenge on the DS forums. I painted this model fairly quickly by using the airbrush to do many of the larger areas and the more difficult blending. As this was a one off model I didn't worry too much about what colours I chose, which really helped to speed up the painting.
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Continuing on the scenery building spree, I have completed three tree sections. I was inspired by MSUG on the Flames of War forum who used the Open Fire tree terrain bases to build some woods. I had a set of Citadel trees from a tournament prize from a few years ago. I decided to try and magnetize the trees to allow troops to move through them easily. The woods are scaled in such a way that they could be used for either 15mm or 28mm games.