A few weeks ago I posted a tutorial on one of my tests for painting disc camouflage. The basic methods outlined in the tutorial were used to paint this model.
Here is an image of a Panther in disc camouflage from militarymodelling.com:
Here is the Panther I painted using this method:
This model was a lot of work to paint and I am very pleased with how some of the techniques worked. I am not sure how I feel about the whole disc camouflage scheme and I am really curious to get feedback on what people think of it. I think it will be quite polarizing. I am not sure if it manages to recreate the overall effect of the pattern or if it just looks like a polka dotted tank. I am really looking forward to hearing feedback. This is one of the first models I have painted primarily as an experiment and to try to find a way to do something in a scale that I haven't really seen done before. Please leave me some feedback in the comments section!
As I mentioned above, I tried a few new techniques on this model. This was my first time using oil washes. I used an oil wash to pin wash the lines on the vehicle. A pin wash is when you just let the wash flow into the cracks on a model. I think it created some nice depth and was much easier to apply than an acrylic wash. I also used a lot of colour modulation to lighten the model overall. I added white to Tamiya XF-60 to lighten the dunkelgelb colour on raised panels and applied a bright line highlight. I also added some shadows by spraying (carefully!) some brown wash through my airbrush onto the shadowed areas.
|Here you can see the colour modulation.|
|It was pretty hard to mask some of the shapes.|