Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tutorial: Painting Me262 camouflage

In this tutorial I will show you how I painted the camouflage on this WWII German Me262 airplane for Flames of War. The model is a bit smaller than 15mm I believe. I painted the model using an airbrush and used tape for the masking. The Me262 was the world's first operational fighter jet.

Materials
-airbrush
-masking tape (I used Tamiya model masking tape and 3M blue painter's tape from the hardware store)
-Vallejo Model Air (VMA) Pale Grey Blue
-VMA Light Grey Green (71044)
-VMA US Dark Green (71016)
-gloss varnish

A note on colours. I used the colours I had available that roughly created a similar look to the Battlefront model. I also chose the US Dark Green as it was dark enough to create a contrast between the dark and lighter areas.


I prepped the model by priming it with white vallejo surface primer, sprayed through the airbrush. I then painted the lower parts of the model VMA Pale Grey Blue. I then sprayed VMA Light Grey Green from above and carefully from the side to create a soft edge between the green and grey between the top and the bottom. By spraying the darker colour primarily from above I was able to achieve this effect quite easily.

I then sprayed some gloss varnish over the model to protect it. Next, I covered the areas I wanted to remain the light green colour with a combination of tamiya masking tape and painter's masking tape. I followed the pattern from the Flames of War website. Finally, I used some sticky tack to quickly fill in a few areas I wanted to fill quickly inside the hard lines of the tape. I didn't mask any of the bottom of the model and just relied on carefully making sure I didn't spray over the light grey.

Next, I sprayed the US Dark Green carefully over the unmasked sections. I was careful to ensure I sprayed from above as with the base light green colour so that I kept the same soft margin between the grey and the green area. I was careful to spray a fairly light coat of paint over it, to avoid the paint running or getting under the tape. Once it had dried I carefully removed the tape.

After this the camouflage was mostly complete. To finish the model I added decals, painted the canopy, added a pin wash to dark line the panels, and added a little weathering. I used an oil pin wash to paint the panel lines. This was incredibly quick and easy. If anyone wants more information, just post in the comments and I would be happy to show what I do with it.

I've had a few people ask how I painted the canopy. I first painted the canopy black. I then painted some thin layers of dark grey paint in the lower corners. I highlighted this with two successive layers of lighter grey. Next, I added a small dot of white opposite the grey to simulate a reflected point of light. Finally, after I matte varnished the model I coated the canopy with a layer of gloss varnish (brushed on) to make it a little shinier.

And now, a few more pictures of the finished model. I painted this model for someone in my local gaming group so I will look forward to seeing this plane destroying my tanks in the future...

You can really see the black lining in this picture. With the oil wash this took above 5 minutes to darken all of the cracks.




Thanks for visiting!

Update: I painted another Me262 in the same way.

3 comments:

  1. Very, very nice, Cameron! Just about a perfect model - lovely clean colours, super shade lines and a great canopy! Very fine indeed, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous.

    And for my money the sexiest plane ever ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sidney-Thanks, that means a lot. I made one giant error while painting this model. I accidentally rubbed the decals off of the fuselage while they were setting and I was impatiently painting another part.

    Drax-Thanks. Unfortunately it will probably be blowing up my beloved shermans.

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...