Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Showcase: Winter T-34 platoon

I've finished painting a Flames of War T-34 platoon in winter whitewash camouflage. The platoon is the Battlefront SBX-01 T-34 obr. 1942 platoon. Initially I played around with some colour modulation of the green colour but it ended up too bright. To fix it I decided to paint the models in winter whitewash. I used the "hairspray method" to chip the whitewash and varied the thickness using the airbrush. I added weathering and definition over top using oil paints.




I painted the winter whitewash to look like it was coming off a bit. To do it I painted the models green and sealed them with varnish. They were too bright. I thought they looked like candy apple green. Not what I wanted.


I then sprayed a light coat of hairspray over the varnish (liberated from the stash of hair products in the washroom...). Next, I airbrushed Vallejo Model Air white over top. I carefully sprayed it so that there was a little white at the edges and then built the colour up in the middle of each panel (very roughly).


Next, I used some water and various brushes and sponges to carefully remove some of the white from high wear areas. I tried not to overdo it and focussed on the hard edges.

I like the individual stowage on these models.
To weather the whitewash I sealed it with gloss varnish again. I then did a pin wash of dark oil paints around details to create contrast and depth. I then dabbed oil paint onto a few places and pulled it down with a brush with a little turpentine on it to create streaks over the whitewash.

Big streaks on the front.
The platoon was pretty easy to assemble and everything went together well. The only part that was not so good was some extra flash on the tracks. I decided to leave it and just add some mud over top when they were finished (it was only on the back of the tracks). I added the mud in two stages. First I washed the tracks with AK Interactive Mud Enamel wash. I then added some mud by mixing brown paint with some Golden Pumice paste.


I also built a larger photo booth, a base, and printed some new backgrounds to improve my platoon scale pictures. I'll put up a post on it sometime in the next week or two. I experimented with some different backgrounds and black and white effects. You can see my other lightbox here.

In the city.
T-34s in Normandy... I decided to experiment with black and white pictures.
In the forest.
You can see the panel highlighting a bit more from above.

You can see a tutorial on how I painted the winter whitewash on this platoon:
Winter whitewash tutorial

17 comments:

  1. They look great! The mud on the tracks is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. I'm playing a solo game right now. German panzers vs 11th AD. Germans are winning.

      Delete
    2. Germans won. Totally crushed the 11th AD.

      Delete
  2. Awesome, I was thinking I might try and do that tomorrow with all my houses from the BF subscription. Just found something else I am probably going to have to buy... http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.ca/2013/10/unboxing-malifaux-viktorias-m2e-hired.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I saw those models I thought you would probably like them. Their plastics look pretty good but hard to paint with all those flat surfaces.

      That's cool you got the house subscription. I need some for my board. Not really sure if it is worth making 15mm houses but I may as well try.

      Delete
  3. I can sell you some of my houses, don't think I really need 12. Also is there anything else for your armies that you are looking for? I realize that I may have acquired a little more stuff than I need over the last little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Ebay again?

      I am looking for a bunch of models. Pumas, 8-rads, Panzer IVs, Panzer IV/70s, Mobelwagons, 250s, typhoon

      Delete
  4. These look smashing!

    The hairspray technique looks just right, and I absolutely love the background work!

    - D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax. I tried not to overdo the chipping. I've got some more 11th AD coming up soon.

      Delete
  5. Great job Cameron, they absolutely awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I looked at your painting guide a bunch when I was initially painting them. Unfortunately the modulation on the green was too bright, so I decided to do the winter whitewash.

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have really taken to Flames of War. It's a prefect fit for you weathering skills! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been almost entirely painting FoW this year. I've really enjoyed the games and have been enjoying painting 15mm models a lot more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  7. Really like the way that these have been weathered, the whitewash looks great and mud streaks look spot on. Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like them too. It makes me want to do a soviet winter tank list. Unfortunately all of the lists seem to be focussed on one type of tank. I can't really mix T-34s and KV1s and KV2s and other things I would like. I don't want to paint 20 T-34s...

      Delete
  8. What kind of hairspray works best? I'm always scared to try that with cheap stuff afraid it will ruin everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I just used the bottle my wife had. Hair spray is water soluble. If you varnish it should wash off.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...