Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Showcase: 11th Armoured Division Command Shermans

At long last I have finished painting the command Shermans for my 11th. Armoured Division tank company for Flames of War. One of the models is a plastic Sherman from the Plastic Soldier Company and the other is a Battlefront Resin tank model. The models were painted with a little bit of panel highlights using the airbrush. The washes and streaking were all done with oil paints. With these two models (and two more stands on my painting desk that are finished), my 1780 point tournament army is fully painted (I think). Sadly, the tournament I used this list in happened several months ago... The shame...




I went back through my pictures and found one where I had prepared a whole bunch of models for this company to be painted. I airbrushed them all together. The photo date is February 27th of this year. Eight months later I have finally finished painting the command Shermans. Very sad. I airbrushed the base coats in February. In April I added decals and did the line highlights and main washes. In November I finally painted the commanders themselves and weathered the poor tanks. It may have been for the best though, as I have learned a lot about painting 15mm humans and I think the tank commanders look much better on these two models than my older platoon commanders. Embarrassingly though, I probably played 15 or so games with my company commanders unpainted. I have no shame.
February. Airbrushed shortly after. I still have not finished all of these. Still have 1 Stuart commander, 3 universal carriers, and 4 shermans to complete.
I flocked my new photography base and took a bunch of pictures of my 1iC and 2iC in the Normandy/Holland countryside. I am really enjoying taking pictures with my new base and background.



I painted these models in a pretty similar fashion to most of my other recent models. I used oil paints to add streaks to the hull and turret. AK Interactive mud enamel wash to make the tracks dusty. Did the chipping with a sponge and brush. There is a little bit of panel highlighting, but it is not as pronounced as on my more recent German models. I am most pleased with the dirty streaks as I think they look more realistic and interesting than the streaks I used to do with acrylic paint.


Battlefront vs. Plastic Soldier Company models in an interesting dilemma for me. I really find the PSC models to be much more precise. The detail on the Battlefront resin models are always a little fuzzy due to bubbles and imperfections and the panels are not smooth. The biggest frustration has to be the huge amount of flash in the tracks of the Battlefront model. They are totally filled in with excess metal.

Both tank commanders have eyes and badges on the sleeves.

Battlefront has recently announced a move to more plastic tanks for their high volume models. I am looking forward to seeing how they are considering the cost, weight, and quality concerns with many of their resin models. I want to purchase Battlefront models as they do a good job (in my opinion) of producing enjoyable rules, supplements, tournaments, and forum discussions. I would like to have primarily Battlefront models so my armies are good for Battlefront tournaments (even though 100% BF is not needed). I want to support my local stores (not local anymore) that carry Battlefront products as only 1 store in my province carries Plastic Soldier Company models (and I do not ever play there and they rarely have much PSC stock). So I am hoping that the new Battlefront plastics are precise, wonderful models that assemble nicely.
Easy assemble resin model? I had to file the tracks and clean up a ton of flash and the track detail is still quite poor and has flash between all of the road wheels.

Up next I have the last two stands of American paratroopers. They are all painted and based. I just need to wait for the white glue to dry so I can get some pictures of them. Then I am hoping to get some nice pictures of the full company as it currently stands.




On the side bar you may have noticed two new text boxes. I currently have extra time on my hands. I am available for commission painting work at reasonable rates. I can currently offer quick turn around on projects. Email me for a quote (rustandthecity at gmail.com). I am also selling a few painted models and terrain pieces. eBay links are on the right. Thanks for visiting!

Some more 11th Armoured Division posts that may be of interest:
Platoon of shermans
More shermans
Heavy mortars
Stuarts
Bedford lorries
Command Shermans
Universal carriers

21 comments:

  1. I am astounded by your work. I would be thrilled if my 28mm tanks looked this good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. In some ways the 15mm tanks are easier to paint. The panels are smaller so the layering is a bit easier than on the huge panels on 28mm tanks.

      Delete
    2. It is the sum total of all the little details that I like. The rust streaks, the powders, and the paint chipping work really well.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. I've noticed that often the effects compliment each other. When I use just the enamel mud wash it looks pretty boring. With other stuff as well it looks good. It is a bit time consuming though as the oils and enamels take much longer to dry.

      Delete
    4. I really like your sons of horus. I've been thinking about painting a sons of horus model for fun. Thanks for posting your recipe. I may play around with the colours I have and see if I can come up with something.

      Delete
  2. Really like what you have done with these, especially the commanders. The scenic base with the background photo sets the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm having a lot of fun with the backgrounds. I think I will repaint some of the older commanders too.

      Delete
  3. Very nice effects. The dusting and the streaks are great. Beautiful commanders.
    And the blue circles, you painted them didn't you? The highlights on the symbole has a great visual impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the symbols on the tanks themselves are decals from Dom's Decals (including the blue circles). I couldn't paint so neatly! They aren't highlighted, but they have been shadowed with the washes and weathering. I used a few layers or Micro Sol to really help the decals to blend in with the paint.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work, you using standard oil paints as opposed to MiG washes or AK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I figured it was cheaper and they are easier to source and I can use them for more different things. I prefer oils to some of the enamel products from AK too. The enamel takes longer to dry. It was your post on your russian tanks with the filters that really got me looking at using oils. I find they give a really vibrant finish to a model.

      Delete
    2. Cameron, what brand of oil paints do you use exactly? I've been struggling with streaking with acrylic paints.

      Delete
    3. I've been using Windsor and Newton oil paints, simply because they were what the local art store had. I would recommend buying above the lowest quality line as the fineness of the pigments makes a difference at the tiny 15mm scale. I have one paint from the intermediate line and it is much better. If you get only one colour, I think Burnt Umber is the most versatile. I have Raw Umber (too dark) and Raw Sienna (too red) that I mix together. I've heard that buff is good for dirty areas and black is good for mixing for darker washes.

      Delete
    4. Awesome, thank you!

      Delete
  5. Those are - and look - astonishing! Absolutely LOVE the backgrounds. Love 'em.

    Bloody good work, mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax. The backgrounds add a lot to the models I think. Slowly filling in my painting chart.

      Delete
  6. They of course look great Cam. Where are you buying your decals? I have some battlefront German ones but need something for my soviets. Also you should check out this blog for the Winnipeg Wargames club, they have some excellent painters.

    http://wpggamegeeks.blogspot.ca/2013/11/snow-cats-winter-panthers-ww2-15mm.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. I got my decals from Dom's Decals for my Germans and 11th AD. I don't think he does Soviet decals though. Maybe PSC? I like those winter panthers. After doing the T-34s I really want to try some winter Germans. But not really my own models as I don't want to do a whole snow army.

      Delete
    2. Are you getting any painting done lately? I haven't seen much on your blog in a while.

      Delete
  7. I have two solo batreps to post up I just need to take the time to upload the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to it. I finally got a 6x4 surface for full sized games. I've played a few solo games too.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...