Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Scratch built 15mm buildings

I recently set up my new gaming table and discovered I did not have enough line of sight blocking terrain. As a I prefer playing Flames of War with primarily tank based forces, utilizing line of sight blocking terrain is an important part of my tactics. My other limitation was that money was a bit tight for purchasing nice premade terrain like more trees and the lovely Battlefront houses. Therefore, I decided to try and build some houses and buildings to bulk out my terrain collection for Flames of War.




Building 15mm houses is challenging. I am pleased with the overall aesthetic of these buildings (and the other two I have not yet painted). However, the scale is slightly off. A 15-18 mm high model probably does not need a 30mm high and 20mm wide door. It is a little large. Next time I think I will make the floors slightly smaller (these ones are 40mm for each floor) and the windows and doors slightly smaller. As they are now I guess the doors are just really tall double wide doors…




These models were pretty easy to build. Once again, I used the cardboard bases from the Open Fire set as the bases of the two buildings here. Like the stone walls (blog entry coming soon!), the walls of the buildings are made from Depron foam textured with aluminium foil. I added details using small pieces of cardstock. On larger models I have used balsa wood for the detailing but even balsa wood is too thick for this scale a lot of the time. The roof is made like the huts in the classic Citadel wargaming terrain books; strips of card with little slits cut into it.



I built the two story building with 1 floor accessible for models to go inside. I am not a fan of having layers of buildings all over the table to arrange models. I decided to try a removable roof for this one though. I may just do ruined roofs on the future models as there is less chance of them breaking or of pieces getting lost.


I painted the models by drybrushing brown and then white for the walls. I then added a little light and shadows using the airbrush. I drybrushed the roof with some grey colours. The bricks I painted in some reddish colours, washed, and drybrushed. They were pretty fast to paint up. I like painting terrain sometimes as a break from the more precise painting required when painting 15mm models.





I have lots more blog entries and projects in the pipeline. Come back soon for some updates on my 11th Armoured Division sherman company, pictures of some stone walls, and some painted Panthers and Tigers. Thanks for visiting. 

10 comments:

  1. I think it looks rather good - I wouldnt worry about the oversized doors - just makes it look more rural farmhouse like... good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Haha. I like this building as I think it will look good as a rural farmhouse but could also fit into a village (if I ever manage to build enough buildings for one!).

      Delete
  2. I have also used the Open Fire card terrain as bases for some terrain projects. Yet to finish the buildings, though I do have some low walls finished, well almost - just need a gate or two.

    I decided early on that I wasn't going to try to cut out windows or doors. Instead, just perhaps cut out some thin card and glue that on instead or even just paint the features on.

    Your own buildings look very nice. I like the little touches like the exposed brick in the eaves, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking for future ones of doing something different for the windows. For a while I have wanted to get or make some windows that I can just glue on to provide a bit of relief.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. The scale looks fine to me, and I like the paint effects, nice balance of detail and simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red Dog. I didn't want to go too complex on these as I wanted to finish them and make them repeatable to get more terrain for my table. Too much detail and they could be fragile too.

      Delete
  4. Very nice work with these buildings, love the paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Nice and quick paintjob, but I used some drybrushing to pick out the texture.

      Delete
  5. Smashing!

    Speaking as someone who lives in a village consisting mostly of buildings like these, I can assure you you've got the damp mossiness of the exterior paintwork just right!

    I really ought to get back to finishing mine, I suppose. Now...where did Mrs Drax tidy them to...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear. I was going for that worn, white building look so common with British houses. I imagine there are a lot of similar ones in France and Holland.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...