Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Showcase: Me262

As part of the Kampfgruppe Peiper commission I am working on I painted a Me262. The Me262 was the world’s first jet fighter. More importantly, it has lots of really interesting camouflage patterns to paint. For this model I followed the tutorial on Me262 camouflage I posted last year. I’m glad I wrote the tutorial or I would have forgotten which colours to use to recreate the pattern!

As I mentioned in the introduction, I painted this Me262 in the same pattern as the first one. Really, the final models are very similar. The only differences are in how I did the chips (outlined for some depth) and I added more streaks with oil paint. Last time I had some major issues with the decals as I accidentally removed some of them when handling the model. This time I was more careful and made sure to seal the decals as soon as they were set.

I have been meaning to do a tutorial on how I paint black lenses and black canopies, but I couldn’t find a camera to take step-by-step pictures. Next time!

I have another commission coming up in March to paint some other Flames of War airplanes for a client. I am looking forward to doing them. Hopefully they all assemble as easily as this model.


I had some fun using my scenic backgrounds to take “action” pictures of the Me262. I kind of wish I had some Photoshop skills to remove the flight stand from the pictures.

Update: At the client's request I painted the bombs a darker grey. I think the added contrast looks nice.
Thanks for visiting. Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated as always. Vote on which Me262 you prefer; the old one or the new one. Hahaha.


Check out the rest of this Kampfgruppe Peiper commission:

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one with no photoshop skills!

    The Me262 is hands-down one of the sexist planes ever designed - boy, those Germans had style. Always such beautiful camo too...and your paintwork really does work very well indeed too: bloomin' well done, Cameron!

    That said, the model itself seems a little squat, rather than sleek and vicious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax. You made almost the same comment on my last Me262; sexiest plane ever made. Hahaha.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...