Friday, January 31, 2014

Sd.Kfz 234/1s and Pumas

In this blog post I will show some pictures of a platoon of Sd.Kfz 234/1 and 234/2 Pumas I recently painted. I painted this platoon as the first platoon in a large Kampfgruppe Peiper commission I am working on. The client requested all of the models in the commission to be painted in the vertical striped, hard-edged camouflage pattern. So expect to see more Germans in this pattern soon!



The models I used are Battlefront’s GE361 blister. I really like that this blister has the turret for 234/1s with 2cm anti-aircraft guns and 234/2 Pumas. This really adds to the flexibility of the blister. I painted the Puma turrets so the client can use this platoon as either Pumas or 234/1s in the future. The castings were quite crisp on these models. The wheels assembled easily. The only downsides to the models were the slight miscasts on the side of the hull on all three models and how thin the front fender of the model is (under a mm thick, quite brittle).

I painted these models in a pretty similar method to my Panzer IV J platoon. I used mainly panel highlighting for the colour modulation. I used silly putty and sticky tack to do the hard-edged camouflage. The client requested that the tracks and wheels not be muddy and so these models are cleaner than many of the models I paint.

I spent a lot of time researching Panzer uniforms to try and get the uniforms correct. I’m looking forward to the release of the new Battlefront plastic German vehicles as they will have some new tank commander poses. The small head poking out of the turret is a bit dull compared to some of the more dynamic poses for other nations.


On deck, I have some Panthers, a Me262, and then a whole pile of Panzer IVs, King Tigers, half tracks, mortars, and anti-aircraft weapons. Expect to see lots of Germans over the next several months!

Check out the rest of this Kampfgruppe Peiper commission:

No comments:

Post a Comment

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...