Monday, January 27, 2014

Tigers in the Mud

Before the holidays I very quickly painted up most of this Tiger platoon. Then the holidays came and lots of things got in the way. I have finally completed this Tiger platoon. Now I just need to find a way to include three Tigers into a somewhat viable list…

I bought these models in a lot of used models off of Bartertown. When the models arrived I discovered that most were damaged and missing pieces. Some were even from unknown manufacturers. Among the mass of models were four Battlefront Tiger tanks in various states of disrepair and four Plastic Soldier Company Tigers on the sprue. I fixed these up as well as I could using bits from a Plastic Soldier Company Tiger box and various bits and pieces still on the four models. In the end, I think we have a bedraggled Tiger platoon that should work for Mid-War or Late-War on the Eastern Front; a broken down unit with numerous repairs and damaged machines.

I painted these up fairly quickly. I did some quick colour modulation on the large panels of the Tigers. I then added freehand camouflage in an interesting pattern I found online. I’m going to experiment more with complex freehand camouflage as it is quite challenging.
Image from the Earl Grey collection.


The biggest challenge with this platoon was painting the tank commander. I spent a lot of time doing research on Panzer crew uniforms to try and get the uniform close to correct. Painting black to look interesting is also quite challenging. I may do a future post on painting panzer commanders. I attempted most of the insignia and uniform on this small model. He has the crusher hat, pink waffenfarbe (should probably have silver braid in it too), the collar badges, and the national award ribbon. 




I was originally planning to sell these models to fund my revenue neutral hobby goal for 2014. I’ve since gotten a few commissions so I may save these models to use in Mid-War games. I’m not sure I will ever use them in a 3 Tiger Schwere Panzer company as it seems a bit inflexible. I may use 1 as part of a mixed Panzer company though. Mid-War list building seems challenging as tank companies can’t fit in all of the tools needed for combined arms. The other challenge is that I am reluctant to buy lots of lighter tanks just for the main combat platoons. I figure I can cobble something together from my late war Germans and see what I need to add later. Three 385 point Tigers bulks out a company pretty quickly.

 
Tank terror?

So there you have it. Three Tigers added to the collection for now. They may be sold some time in the future but for now they can hypothetically terrorize opponents. Up next, I have also completed a Me262, a platoon of 234/1s, and a Panther platoon. I need to post another two posts this month so check back soon for more Flames of War models.


Thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous Cameron.

    Love the camo pattern choice and the driver has cute red cheeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I am pleased with how the camouflage turned out. It is quite interesting I think and looks quite camouflage in the grassy field. Glad you like the driver too.

      Delete
  2. What Vallejo Model Air Colors did you use for the camo pattern on those tigers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russian green and burnt umber.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I appreciate the quick response. The color modulation guide article really helped me and now I'm gonna order the colors and try some late war camo patterns on some of my battlefront german armor.

      Delete
    3. It's great to hear that they are helping people! I have a bunch of other little tutorials on different German camouflage patterns if you are interested: http://rustandthecity.blogspot.ca/p/tutorials.html. If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know and I can try to help or can write a little tutorial on it. Send me a picture of some of your models when you are done. I'd love to see them!

      Delete
    4. These ones might be Vallejo Model Air Medium Green. I can't remember if I used Medium Green or Russian Green on these. Most of mine are Russian Green as it is slightly browner. The Medium Green is a bit more vibrant and bright green.

      Delete
    5. Again thank you for both the article and the responses. I'm probably going to go with Russian Green since it seems more dialed down than its counterpart which sounds like a paint job fresh off the assembly line.

      Delete
    6. Russian green definitely is a bit more muted. I like the Medium Green sometimes for a more vibrant look. I use Russian Green more often though. Feel free to post any other questions up on here.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...