Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sd.Kfz 10/5 (2cm) or How I learned to stop worrying and love Luftwaffe Uniform Blue

The Sd.Kfz 10/5 (2cm) is a Luftwaffe self-propelled anti-aircraft gun I painted as part of the Kampfgruppe Peiper commission I have been working on. The vehicle mounts an anti-aircraft gun on a half-track truck. These models were difficult to assemble but the crew were a lot of fun to paint. Read on for more pictures of the vehicles and some information on how I painted the uniforms.







In Flames of War, this would be a very useful platoon. The three anti-aircraft vehicles are only 60 points. They aren't very durable, but they would be great for protecting tanks and for whittling down infantry.


These models were a bit of a challenge. Each model is a huge number of pieces. The guns are six or more parts alone. The sides of the truck are each individual pieces. They were a challenge to assemble. The biggest challenge was the missing gun of one of the models. I improvised by cutting the barrel off of a Mobelwagen and sculpting the rest of the gun from putty. It turned out alright, but was a lot of work.

Probably the biggest challenge with this platoon was simply acquiring the models. Battlefront USA had only two in stock and most places were sold out. Luckily I managed to track one down at Drexoll Games in Vancouver (my old local store) who mailed one to me. The low availability of some models is a big challenge for army commissions at the moment.



The Luftwaffe Blue was fun to paint. I airbrushed all of the infantry models in Vallejo Model Colour 816 German WW2 Luftwaffe Blue. I then highlighted them with white mixed into the Luftwaffe Blue and added some shadows by mixing in some black. The blue colour looks really nice and created some nice smooth blends.


The paint job on these models may not be very historical. The client wanted grey gunshields and guns for contrast. I also painted the camouflage stripes inside of the vehicle sides as I wanted the pattern to be visible and match the rest of the company.

I hope you enjoyed seeing these models. Check back soon for the rest of this Kampfgruppe Peiper commission. The models are all finished and have arrived in South Africa. Thanks for visiting!

Check out the rest of this Kampfgruppe Peiper commission:

4 comments:

  1. Great title, and you're right about the Luftwaffe blue: it really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax. The colour blended really nicely. I think it gives a nice effect. Makes me want to paint some FJs with blue trousers.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I just painted some Luftwaffe crew too, though for an 88. They were indeed fun.
    Yours are rather striking mate.
    haven't seen the AA guns before. I like them, pretty cool mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm tempted to do some 88s too. I'm glad you like the crew. They were fun to paint.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...