Thursday, February 6, 2014

Showcase: Winter Panther As

In this post I will showcase five Panther As in winter camouflage I have painted for Flames of War. The Panther models were quite a lot of fun to paint as some of the models had extra stowage, tracks, and details. The models were assembled from a bunch of broken Panthers I purchased used. In this post I will show a few pictures of Panthers and discuss the uses for them in games.



Like the Tigers I posted earlier, the Panthers were built from a used Bartertown purchase of used, broken down models. Many were missing schurzen and fenders and exhausts. Fortunately, as I made my Plastic Soldier Company Panthers as Panther Gs, I had plenty of spare Panther A parts to use to finish them. If you look closely the models are quite a mismatch of parts with four different models of Schurzen and three different fender models. The turrets are also from a variety of sources. Some are from the excellent box set with the extra tracks and stowage modelled on. The hatches, cupolas, machine guns, and other parts are from a wide range of sets. Unfortunately I was short one proper barrel as the original owner had used some styrene rod for a barrel. I hid it with some camouflage netting (I call this tank “Netty”).

I modelled these five Panthers to be quite flexible in gaming terms. One Panther is numbered as a company command tank, three form one platoon, and the other has only the company number showing so it can be used in the platoon or as a second in command if needed.

Like the Tigers, I had initially planned to sell this platoon. I may still sell them later on. For now though, they provide a massive influx of points if I want to play with German armour before I finish painting all the other support tanks and things that I need.

After working out the insignia and uniform pieces I needed, I quite enjoyed painting the tank commander uniforms. Black cloth is always challenging but it is cool to add the tiny uniform details to each model. They kind of get lost in the size of the model but they look cool when you look at them closely. One of the tank commanders had a bit of a miscast face so I used some red wash to try and make it look like a scar.

I had some fun painting the mud on the tracks. I did a dark wash on the wheels to simulate the accumulated grime and dirt. I then made up a messy mud out of earth pigments and Woodland Scenics water effects. I put it on a brush and then carefully painted, flicked, and sprayed it onto the tanks from the brush with my airbrush. The final mud dries very hard and looks alright and is quick and easy to do.

In game terms, I’m not sure how often I will use Panthers let alone the seven Panthers I have now painted (and the six more I have unpainted). The Panther is a great tank in game terms but is very vulnerable to high anti-tank assets, infantry assaults, planes, and artillery compared to its high points cost. I think they are great for dictating enemy tank movement but I think they make it hard to have enough points left to have the elements needed to assault infantry. Top armour 1 and small platoons (unless you spend massive points) make them challenging to assault infantry with. Maybe I will experiment with them in some of the trained lists.


A quick note as well for those in Northwest North America, there will be a tournament on May 3, 2014 in Kelowna, BC. For those South of the border, Kelowna is about one and a half hours North of Oroville, Washington. The guys are planning a great event and are estimating they will have at least 20 entries. The event poster is on the sidebar. 



I hope you enjoyed seeing these models. Thanks for visiting. Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated as always.


You can see a tutorial on how I painted the winter whitewash on this platoon:
Winter whitewash tutorial

13 comments:

  1. Those are cracking tanks mate. That winter camo looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wanted to try some with some camo poking out from under the white wash.

      Delete
  2. Very nice job, love the staged shots with countryside background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. I quite like the country background too. I need to make up a snow base for the pictures for these ones.

      Delete
  3. Damn man...beautiful as always. Your work is stunning. I hope if/when you do decide to sell that you get the price they deserve, eBay is a fickle mistress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I think I will eventually sell them as I want to paint some panthers in different patterns. I always sell miniatures with a buy it now price on ebay as I definitely don't want to sell them too low. The fees are a bit high though. I would prefer to sell privately, but it is hard to connect with buyers for models that are already painted.

      I painted these ones a bit different than usual as I didn't do any colour modulation on the dunkelgelb (there is a bit on the white, but just based on the opacity of the layers).

      Delete
  4. These look smashing mate!

    I'm glad I don't play Germans though: I'd never be able to handle painting all those pretty camo patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax. The camouflage is what makes me want to paint Germans. They definitely wouldn't be as cool if they were just olive drab!

      Delete
  5. Its beautiful, i must say awesome. Your work is stunning. I hope if/when you do decide to sell that you get the price they deserve. good luck for next ,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cool games. I'm glad you like them. I think I will sell them once I have another 1,500 points of Germans/another platoon of Panthers painted.

      Delete
  6. some of your best models to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad you like them. They were a bit of an experiment.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...