Saturday, April 5, 2014

Desperate King Tiger

In this post I will show some pictures of a King Tiger I recently completed for a commission. The client requested the model be painted for a Desperate Measures list for Flames of War. He wanted a model that looked like it was cobbled together with some older parts and a new hull from the factory. I really enjoyed experimenting with some different techniques to paint this model.




I really enjoyed painting this model. It was fun to try some new techniques to achieve a very specific appearance on the final model. One nice thing with commissions is that I can try some different colour combinations as I don't have to match my existing models (although I don't really stick to one way of painting for my own models, I'd rather always try new things).


I painted all of the reddish brown areas first. The idea is that it looks like the rust primer coat. Luckily for me, Model Brush posted an awesome tutorial on painting hull red just as I started this commission. It came out a little pinker than may be ideal, but it gives an interesting effect overall. To paint it I used Vallejo Model Air Hull Red, then Vallejo Model Air Mahogany, then 4:1 Mahogany to Vallejo Model Air Sand, and finally 2:1 Mahogany to Sand as a highlight in the same way as with the dunkelgelb areas. I have pictures of each stage so I can always do a little tutorial if anyone is interested but I think Ruben Torregrosa does an excellent job of covering it all in his tutorial on Model Brush.
Test

After painting just the hull.
I painted all of the Dunkelgelb areas as I normally do. I used colour modulation on the dunkelgelb in the same way as in my tutorial. I painted the camouflage freehand with the airbrush. It is a pleasure to do colour modulation on the huge smooth turret of the King Tiger. Lots of fun.



The client wanted lots of weathering on this tank. I used some AK Interactive dust effects to create dirty streaks on the hull. I added chips and streaked grime to to turret and hull and lots of mud on the tracks.


The Battlefront King Tigers are really lovely models to paint. They are quite a lot of pieces to assemble though. And they weigh a ton with their metal tracks and resin bodies! You can see the other King Tigers I painted for my Kampfgruppe Peiper commission by clicking on this link. I'm hoping to get my hands on some of the plastic tank commanders from the new Panzer IV H box to add to some models as I'd love some more variety in tank commander poses. The client requested the standard commanders as the King Tiger commander that comes with the box sticks out so far it won't fit well in his foam trays.

Thanks for visiting. Be sure to come back in a few days as I have another King Tiger in winter camouflage that will get it's own blog post. Comments and constructive criticism are always appreciated!

13 comments:

  1. Nicely done! A buddy of mine has a Stg-44 for reenacting that isn't blued. Just looks like it came from the assembly line straight to the front. I like the idea of this with vehicles as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jugger. I haven't seen any historical pictures of a tank that actually looks like this, but it is a neat variation on the standard paint scheme.

      Delete
  2. Oh, brilliant! I absolutely love it when models are given a story, and they don't get much better than this, really...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax! It was a lot of fun to work on something a bit different.

      Delete
  3. Love how smooth your free hand camo spots are, mine always some out speckly...have you ever considered drilling the barrels?

    For some reason, whenever I paint a tank, I always compare it to your work and end up thinking "Wish I could paint like him"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Someone asked me that with the barrels on the last king tigers I did too. I do usually drill the ends of the barrels a bit. I just dislike working with metal and don't want to destroy the barrel either...

      I was quite careful painting these spots. It is hard not to get overspray. I often compare my work to yours too and wish mine looked as neat as yours. I think you do a great job getting lots of nice contrast in your colour modulation.

      Delete
  4. I love the look of the frankenstien HG tank platoons in Market Garden and this one fits in with at look so well. Frikken excellent mate. Really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I'm glad you like it. It is great to hear that it can be used in the Italy compilations too (were there King Tigers?). I like the style of the mashed together tanks.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant, I love it! I finished "It Never Snows in September" recently and this looks spot on like it was cobbled together quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty. I'll have to read that.

      Delete
  6. Very nice, I like the way that you have done the primer and the modulation. Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Minutiae. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  7. ah, and I thought I had painted a very nice tiger II, this one is superbly executed!

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...