Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Mobelwagens

Like the Heavy mortars and Firefly, I painted this platoon quickly for Gottacon in March. A player in my gaming group was wanting an anti-aircraft platoon for his list so I quickly painted up the Mobelwagen platoon I had been meaning to paint. I experimented with some the AK Interactive dunkelgelb set for this platoon.






As I mentioned in the introduction, I tried out the AK Interactive dunkelgelb set on this platoon using the same methods as in my dunkelgelb tutorial. Overall the paints sprayed quite well. One of them gave me clogging problems but overall they worked well. The colours gave a lighter finish than I had expected. In the future I would probably just chose some of the colours and focus more on contrast. I think that overall I prefer my Vallejo set I have been using as it has more of the classic dunkelgelb yellow look to it. I will continue to use this set on one off models though.




I have only used these in one game so far. Their light armour makes them a bit of a liability but they are useful for protecting my panzers from aircraft and for shooting infantry and lightly armoured vehicles.


These models were kind of fiddly to assemble. I decided to put the sides in the partially raised position as I thought they would be stronger for transportation and gameplay. The panzer IV tracks had slightly soft detail as they are the older metal tracks. The gun itself may have been the most tricky to assemble.



I painted the camouflage on these models freehand with the airbrush. I really like the freehand patterns as I think they do a nice job of highlighting the colour modulation of the dunkelgelb areas. I am planning on painting a set of 251/1 D halftracks. I could really use some opinions on whether I should paint them with the soft edged pattern like these Mobelwagens or if I should use a hard edged pattern to match my Panzer IVs

Thanks for visiting. Comments, constructive criticism, and opinions on the camouflage for my half-tracks are all greatly appreciated. Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Very nice! I am a fan of the lighter dunkelgelb variants: brighter = better in 15mm. Camo works well too I think.

    CdlT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like a lighter shade too but I think this combo loses the contrast a bit. I'm glad you like the models.

      Delete
  2. I think this soft edge would look better on the half tracks. With the open tops I'm not sure how the bold hard edged scheme would look? I was thinking about getting some of these since they can be used in a lot of different forces, but I just think the Ostwind looks cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ostwind has the nice 3 front armour too. I got these as they can be used in Bulge era lists and later.

      Here are some pictures of some half-tracks I painted with hard edged camouflage: http://rustandthecity.blogspot.ca/2014/02/peiper-mortars.html

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous.

    I'm no expert, but I reckon the 'harder' look would work better - mainly to accentuate the contrast, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax. It definitely is higher contrast with the hard edge. I am just a bit bored with hard edged patterns :-P.

      Delete
  4. Agree with Drax. Lighter looks good up close, but hard lines contrast better from an arm's length across a game table.

    Mobelwagens have given me a headache in more than one game as I like to run infantry companies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree that contrast is king in 15mm. I've just seen some pretty awesome soft edge patterns lately...

      Glad to hear they can be annoying. The high rate of fire is pretty useful. Their armour is very weak though.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work :D Looks cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dunkelgelb became lighter later in the war so I don't think that it's an issue. From memory the AK modulation set has 5/6 bottles from which to step up with. You could possibly skip a bottle or two in between if you prefer the greater contrast. I have also had the issue with one bottle in an AK set not airbrushing well, in fact it ruined the finish on a piece I was working on and I had to strip it. I blamed it on it being an old set. Great looking mobelwagons, i've rarely seen them modelled with the sides up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks minutiae. The lightness issue is mostly with coherency with the rest of my German armour. I did the sides up so they would be stronger and easier to transport.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...