Monday, May 26, 2014

Henschel Hs129 "Panzerknacker"

I painted a Hs129 for one of the guys I regularly play against. For this model, he also wanted me to magnetize the two gun options to make them interchangeable. After delivery, he used it against me in a game and it was extremely effective. In this post I'll share some pictures, explain how I magnetized it, and discuss it's uses in Flames of War.


Glen had requested that I magnetize the model so he could swap out the larger and smaller gun versions (I think the smaller gun is for mid war). The guns were originally separate pieces you glue to the main body depending on which version you want. The base also attaches to this (this is an old model, new version may be different). To magnetize them, I drilled a hole into the base of the aircraft the size of a magnet (about 2mm or so). I drilled it as deep as two magnets. I then glued one magnet inside of this. On the guns I drilled a small hole for the magnet and glued the magnet so it was sticking out a bit, creating a bit of a post to go into the plane when the magnets came together. Fortunately the magnets are strong enough to hold everything in place pretty well when it is finished.
The little gun
I painted this model in a similar way as the Me262 tutorial I posted last year. The rest of the painting was a bit more complicated due to the theatre markings and the details like the red and white on the engines. This model was also a bit trickier as it is the older white airplane resin. Paint doesn't adhere to it quite as well as the newer grey resin. I also had a lot of issues with my gloss varnish. I ran out of the gloss I was using through my airbrush (Model Masters Acryl Gloss) and tried some vallejo stuff. I didn't get the finish I wanted.
Big gun


I've only played against the Hs129 one time but it was very effective in that one game! Glen and I played No Retreat. The Hs129 was sporadic, but managed to come in and destroy 2 Shermans (another was bailed by something else), making my Sherman and Firefly platoon run off the table without doing anything (they only took two shots in total!). The rockets with anti-tank 15 on side armour is very effective. At the very least, it serves as an effective deterrent and makes the other player spread out his forces.



My painting has really slowed down lately so it was nice to finish off my first model in a little while. The nice weather, summer sports, and a bit of painting burnout have all lead to a lull in model productivity. I have lots of 75% completed models that I just need to finish off over the next few weeks. As always, thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

  1. My first ever model I have put on a table not painted by myself!
    Great work on this. Its inaugural flight was quite successful against Cameron’s Vet Brit tank list.

    Cheers.
    -Glen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, have you really never even borrowed from Kip? That HS129 seems to have a vendetta against me.

      Delete
  2. Love the model. Love the paint job more.

    HATE facing these things in game.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai.

      After one game, I think I can agree. It only takes one Sherman to make back it's points cost. More importantly, it really makes you spread out your tanks.

      Delete
  3. Looking great, Cameron (and Glen)!

    Out of interest, what are the two underslung guns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the flames of war page about it, it looks like the small one is a 3cm cannon and the large one is a 7.5cm cannon from a panzer iv! http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1091

      Delete
  4. Stunning! I love the green patterns and yes, AT15 is really good destroying shermans :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Poor Shermans really take badly to airplanes. I even hit it twice with .50cals, but didn't destroy a plane due to "flying tank". These guys are totally worth their points even if only for the threat against armour. I usually just ignore artillery and air and try to get on the objective as fast as possible.

      Delete
  5. Great painting, love the camo. Amazing that they slung a 75mm cannon under the plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty. It is pretty amazing how everything got up-gunned way beyond specification!

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...