Thursday, June 19, 2014

Captured KV-1 (Zvezda)

After a bit of a hiatus, I have a new model to share. I painted this Zvezda KV-1 as a tank captured and used in the German service. I painted it as if it had been completely repainted in the field in German colours. The model was really easy to assemble and looks good when it is finished. In this post I will share a few pictures of the model and do a brief review of the kit.



Sometimes I like to make black and white pictures to compare to historical photos.
There's been a bit of chatter on the blogosphere lately about "palette cleansers". The idea is, a palette cleanser model is a fun model you paint when you are lacking motivation to paint. Big projects can bog you down and sometimes a little diversion can help you to get your mojo back. This project was a palette cleanser for me. I probably won't use it in a list any time soon but it was quick and easy to paint and helped me to relax about painting a bit. I tend to get a bit fixated on getting models perfect and often don't complete models when I am not totally happy with a step in the paint job.

The Zvezda KV-1 model is a great little kit. I bought this model for only $3.50 or so. It is 100% plastic. The plastic is softer than Battlefront and Games Workshop plastics. It is quite similar to the plastic the Open Fire Shermans are made of. The kit is very precise and can be assembled without glue. In fact, assembly only took me 5 or 10 minutes and the entire kit is only five parts. The model has a nice general shape. Unfortunately it lacks many of the additional details that can really make a paint job "pop". For example, there are no tools on the tank, it is missing the front machine gun, the tracks are not detailed inside, the hatch does not open on top and there are no stowage options. For the price, this is an excellent kit for a unit that may not see the gaming table too often. I love how precise the parts are and I think the final model looks pretty good on the tabletop.

I painted this model in the same way as many of my German vehicles. I painted the colour modulation as in this post: Dunkelgelb tutorial. I painted the soft edge camouflage using the airbrush. As this was originally a Soviet tank, I painted the tracks gun metal as opposed to a dark brown with metal showing through like on most German tanks. I used a filter for tritonal camouflage from MIG Industries to tie the camouflage together on the tank. I used AK Interactive Mud Effects, the Tamiya Weathering compact thing, and some pigments to achieve the dusty effect on the tracks.




So after my brief palette cleanser I am feeling ready to paint some more models. I've got a whole bunch of German tanks about 50-80% finished that I want to get finished in the next few weeks. I've also got some Panzergrenadiers and airplanes that need the finishing touches on them. I also have a lot of new terrain I've made that I just need to take out and photograph to share it on here.


Thanks for visiting. How do you stay on track with a project and make sure you keep enjoying painting? I'd love to hear some thoughts in the comments. Your comments and constructive criticism on the tank are appreciated as always!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a pretty impressive model for $3.50. Great painting as always. Whenever I need a palette cleanser I tend to make some terrain, then I go back to the minis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are nice models for the price. I did some terrain too but I like the tactile practise of painting a model too.

      Delete
  2. Yup - I absolutely love my little Matilda II from Zvezda. I also like pronouncing 'Zvezda'.

    Great work, Cameron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how nicely they assemble and the nice clean lines. They are not as interesting with the lack of fine details but I think they are great when they are an option. Glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. Nice finish, it's good to have a random piece to play with effects, like you have with the highlighting. One thing that I have to point out is that I think the gun is on upside down :(. Other than that it's a real stand out piece for something that costs so little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks minutiaeofwar. I like the freedom of painting one off models sometimes. I hadn't noticed the gun issue until I googled some more pictures. It is one piece for assembly and so it may be an issue with the sculpt. It may be a production variant though. I don't know anything about Soviet tanks.

      Delete
    2. Actually the gun is right - the colors wrong. The KV-1 obr. 39 was the first model and had the recouperator housing above the L-11 gun. Most if not all were used against the fins in the winter war 1939 so would not have been captured by the Germans. I could be wrong though. Still an absolutely beautiful job on the weathering and camo!

      Delete
    3. I quickly googled some german captured KV-1s and they all seem to have the housing below the gun as you mentioned. This website has a good collection of captured KV-1s: http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/su/kv/kv-1/kv-1ab/kv-1_early.htm . I may have to do another one in Finnish service then!

      Delete
  4. I like the edge highlighting...iraqui sand per chance?
    That filter is really nice, think I'm going to have to get some.

    Thanks for sharing bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winner Dave. I used to use Iraqui Sand but I found it looked too pink compared to the other colours I used. I actually just used the top highlight for the colour modulation (Vallejo Model Air Sand) mixed with Vallejo Model Colour Ivory. I'm planning to do the edge highlighting before adding the filter on my next models so it blends in a little more.

      The filter is really nice. It really brings the yellow back into the colour modulation. I've also been trying to use it to make my tanks more uniform in colour between different batches I paint.

      Delete
    2. Do you thin the Filter or use it as is? I find I have to mix them like crazy, but they still separate in the palette, do you find the same?

      Delete
    3. I just use it as is. I shake it, dip a wide brush into the bottle, and then wipe the excess off on some paper towel. I've found it separates, but not terribly. I've only done a few models with it though, so my experience with it may change.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...