As part of this challenge I went through my model box and catalogued how many unpainted Flames of War models I have. I was truly shocked at the overall number. At the start of this challenge I had 96 unpainted and in progress Flames of War models (counting one infantry stand as one model). I have around 50 stands of infantry to paint (and infantry takes me a long time! It is much faster to buy a blister than to paint it...). This doesn't even touch on the old Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy models I have stashed away. I still have some fantasy daemons in blister packs from 1999 that I bought on a vacation... Maybe I'll paint a few of those as part of this challenge. The Flames of War models alone represent about one and a half years of solid painting backlog for me to work through. I'll use the chart below to continue to track my progress.
My goal for this challenge is to paint 50 models over the next six months. This will significantly reduce my backlog. I have a few models that have been in progress for a while (a Sherman platoon I airbrushed in March 2013 for example!) that I will also finish. By the end of this I hope to have all of my British Flames of War models completed and two Panzergrenadiers platoons with company command completed. I'd also like to diversify and paint a few older Warhammer Fantasy and 40k models for some variety.
|This is most of the mountain. Missing are some in progress Shermans, Sherman Crab Flails, and the KV-1s and KV-2s.|
Here are the rules from Chris' Miniature Woes:
1. No purchasing of new miniatures, EXCEPT if you use a joker card. Like in a deck of cards, you get two jokers to use on a figure purchase during the six months of the challenge. Could be a blister pack, an ebay bundle, or a single figure...you can't splurge.
2. Gifts do not count against you.
3. Paints, terrain (or materials), and other hobby supplies do not apply to the no purchasing rule.
4. At least one hobby related blog post and/or Instagram update a week. If you Instagram, be sure to hashtag your pic with #6MMRPC
5. Zombtober will be part of the 6 month challenge so, Zombie related stuff during October is ENCOURAGED!
So there you have it. I already want to buy some Sd.Kfz 250 half tracks to upgrade the ones I currently have... Be sure to follow along as I try to reduce my mountain of unpainted models. A few regular commenters and blogs I follow have also joined the challenge. Admiral Drax has joined in an effort to complete more of his lovely 11th Armoured Division. Dai from The Lost the Damned and the Stunted has made up some painting charts in a effort to buy, build, and paint some full Flames of War armies. Be sure to check out their excellent blogs and progress on this challenge.
I've recently created a Rust and the City twitter account. You can follow it for more frequent updates on what I am painting and the games I am playing. My twitter handle is @RustAndTheCity and my profile is here.