Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Panzer (IV J) Commander

I haven't actually played the Panzer Commander PC game. In this blog post I will show some pictures of my Panzer IV Company Commander and Second in Command for my Panzer Lehr Panzer Division. The tanks themselves are 15mm Plastic Soldier Company Panzer IVs. The tank commanders are plastic Battlefront models. I painted these models in hard edge camouflage to match my other Panzer IVs. With these models complete, I am one big step closer to completing my Panzer Lehr list for Attack-X in a week and a half.




There isn't anything too unique about these models. I am most excited about the commanders (usually I loathe painting the tank commanders, they take too long!). The 1iC is the company commander from the new plastic Panzergrenadier command box. The long coat was way too cool to pass up so I decided to make him a tank commander (I still have one more for a panzergrenadier commander). The 2iC model is from the new plastic tank commander sprue. Fortunately, Battlefront has now released this as a special order item. The sculpts are quite nice. I bought three of them as I like plastic tank commanders a lot more than the metal ones.
I added an iron cross and ribbon to him. I love his jacket. This is the new plastic panzergrenadier commander.

From the plastic tank commander sprue. His face was very nicely sculpted. Great detail.

I painted these models to match the Panzer IVs I finished back in November. How I paint has changed a little bit since then. I'm using the enamel wash more. I'm using a filter to blend the camouflage now. I'm also doing finer line highlights. The new and old models look pretty close on the table though. In the future, I am going to paint (or at least airbrush) all of the tanks from the HQ and combat platoons at the same time to get a uniform look.


With these two finished, I am a little closer to my goal of finishing this company for Attack-X. I've also based, painted the guns and block painted the crews for the Nebelwerfers (just need to highlight skin, webbing, and uniform). Everything left is about 70% complete except for the Neb command and observer.



I got the Panzers to the Meuse into a game last night against Glen's Strelkovy super horde. We were trying to figure out last night if he has lost with it. I think he said he lost one game to Canadian infantry... It is pretty tough. He has a huge strelkovy blob (with pioneers and HMG) with commissars and 1iC that is hard to break. This is backed up with some support (heavy mortars, guns), some flame tank T-34-85s, SU-100s, and a limited Sturmovik. We played cauldron and I played a bit poorly and lost 6-1. I wasted my time assaulting the strelkovy blob even though I knew I would not break it. I finished the game on the objective but had timed out before I had a chance to hold it (which was unlikely). Oh well, sometimes it seems better to go into a tournament with some losses than with some big wins. Post any advice for defeating the Soviet horde in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. Please, I can't take it anymore...I want to be that good. Those look amazing!

    I'm discovering it's best to paint everything at the same time when possible, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks. I am pleased with them. Hopefully the rest of the company looks good too.

      I really prefer painting 2 models at a time. I find with more that I tend to "bog down". With my half tracks I will just have be disciplined and try to do each step together for a change...

      Delete
  2. Wow mate, your ability to paint in the tiniest of details on those commanders is getting better and better. The collar pips and iron cross are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. It is kind of fun trying to paint some of the small details.

      Delete
    2. For some reason when I try to paint so small, the paint dries too quickly on my brush! Any tips?

      Delete
    3. I usually thin my paint quite a lot for painting small details. For vallejo model colour I will do up to 50% water. I then make sure my brush is fairly dry and lightly drag the brush over a surface after picking up paint (so it doesn't run).

      Another thing that can help is making sure your brush has a bit of body (not sure of the correct word) to hold paint. Lots of really tiny brushes don't hold much paint so it dries on it too quickly.

      Delete
  3. Great job on the commanders and tanks! Really like the look of the PSCs vehicle products! I almost bought the BF Panzergrenadiers just for the officers - couldn't get past the tall stahlhelms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy. PSC models go together wonderfully. The incorrect hatches on the Panzer IVs really annoy me though.

      I've found the helmets look really big on some of the models but look much better when painted up. It would have been nice if they weren't quite so large.

      Delete
  4. The paintjob on these is bloody lovely! You're making me want to paint some tanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. You should paint some tanks. They are quick and fun to paint :-)

      Delete
    2. I just realized this is Chris from the Lead Mountain Challenge. I'm excited to reduce my lead pile a bit.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...