Monday, October 6, 2014

Panzer IV Platoon #2

This platoon is another one of those platoons that seemed to drag on forever. I spent a lot of time in March preparing the models and getting the airbrushing and details finished. Then I used them in a game. All progress stalled there. It took me another six months to "unbog" and add the line highlights, chipping and oil streaking and grime. One day I will master the skill of starting one project and finishing it before starting another... Read on for more pictures of the completed panzers. The models are 15mm Panzer IVs from Plastic Soldier Company.





I finished this platoon for Attack-X as part of my painting frenzy. I fortunately completed them a few days before the convention. Since then I have been too busy to even post a blog entry on the finished models. Work changes and personal and volunteer commitments have taken up all of my waking hours (and some of my sleeping ones too!). In the next few weeks my schedule should settle down and I hope to continue to post and paint more regularly.

Zeltbahn camo on the tank commander and the tarp on the engine deck (he is scared of planes, who cares about fumes...).

I'm quite happy with the finished platoon. I spent lots of time adding individual detail to each tank as I got bored with the same sculpt for each. The tank commander is an open fire grenadier cut down to size. The stowage is from every tank model I could find and a few pieces custom sculpted. I cut away some hatches and things to makes these early model Panzer IV Js (although the hatches and cupola are incorrect, among other things). I cut away some other hatches to reveal details like the crewman inside the turret.


I've found that it is difficult to keep models totally consistent between different batches. I use lots of weathering and colour modulation that is difficult to keep the same between different batches when painting. In the future I think I will paint the 10 core company vehicles at the same time to make them a bit more uniform. I'm planning on painting some panzergrenadiers next and so I will paint the 10 half-tracks at the same time. I just have to keep focussed to avoid getting completely bored when painting so many similar models at one time.
This crewman poking out of the side is my favourite. The idea was shamelessly copied from an Art of War painting guide.


I hope you enjoyed seeing these tanks. I still have to post pictures of my finished Nebelwerfer platoon (I want to repaint the sandbags first-a 15 minute job). Thanks for visiting!

14 comments:

  1. Well done on getting them complete mate. Pushing through that barrier is tough, time for another palette cleanser?

    Really love the stowage, the 'odd' shurzen panel and the crew man, it's details like that really make a platoon look cool.

    Nice work my friend, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I just may have to do another palette cleanser. Right now the challenge is just getting some spare time to paint at all. I agree on the individual details adding lots to a platoon. It is quite a lot of work to add and paint though.

      Delete
  2. Looking good! Do you use Iraqi Sand for highlighting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually a mix of Vallejo Model Air Sand (my lightest airbrushed colour) and VAllejo Model Colour Ivory. I found Iraqi Sand a bit too pink.

      Delete
  3. That's some really great weathering on the side panels. The chips are really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been working on making the chips a little smaller. Glad you like them.

      Delete
  4. Some of the nicest panzers I've seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful work! I have tried the cartoon-ish style many times and had to give up due to my personal inabilities. You are definitely a notch above!

    On a side note, the zeltbahn is actually covering the fresh air intakes, fans, and radiator as the exhaust is vented solely out of the muffler along the rear. See the Muster Pz.Kpfw. IV as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhE0aAeV-os

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I've definitely gone towards a more cartoonish and overexaggerated look for these models to bring out the details.

      Thanks for the info on what it is covering. I'm guessing they would have tried to leave those uncovered. Maybe he is stopped and hiding in some woods...?

      Delete
  6. SWEEEEET!

    I absolutely LOVE that cheeky wee crewman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax. I'd like to add some popping out of the lower hatches too, but they are a bit more work to remove.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...