Sunday, February 22, 2015

Panzergrenadier Update

With one week to go it is time for an update on the Panzergrenadier company I am trying to finish for Gottacon. I posted my proposed list and painting chart back in December. Since then I have slowly been working on the company. In the last week I have been painting furiously to try and get it finished for Gottacon. In this post I’ll show some pictures of the finished and in progress models.



The panzergrenadier platoon was and is the biggest hurdle to this list. It takes me longer to paint an infantry stand than a tank. At the start of the project I had 14 infantry stands to paint. I have now finished the 8 small bases. I’ve painted the 5 tank hunter stands, platoon command, 1iC and 2iC. I still have the 6 MG teams to finish. They are assembled and based and I have painted some of the details like helmets and camouflage. The flesh and green uniform colour take me a long time to paint so it will be a major challenge to finish these 6 stands in a week.

Platoon command stand

The panzerfaust is magnetized so I can switch it out for different lists.

The half-tracks are all assembled and base coated. I used the new(ish) plastic panzergrenadier half-tracks for these models. The models are very nice but were a pain to assemble. They form a gap on the side and I spent a lot of time filling and repairing the gap. I added lots of stowage and magnetized the crew and some of the guns. The assembly took me a solid week of hobby time. They should be fairly quick to paint up as I have my methods solidified for painting tanks. I had originally planned to paint all 10 half-tracks in one batch. Now I am thinking that I will just paint the half-tracks for the HQ and one platoon. I will use my Sd.Kfz 250s for my other platoon.

I’ve played three test games with the list so far. I played Glen’s Tankovy at Hold the line. My Panzergrenadiers had too much anti-tank for him to assault. My Panzer IVs slowly whittled down his company and he eventually company broke (I think, either that or a time out without much left, but I think it was a company break). 
3 more tank hunters
My second game was against Kip’s 3rd RTR from Overlord (British tanks) in No Retreat. I won this game 6-1 as well. Again my Panzergrenadiers held the objective. The Panzer IVs came from either side and slowly whittled down his armour until the company broke. I got a little lucky in this game not to lose either Panzer IV platoon to shooting from 17 pounders. Somehow I destroyed 14 or so tanks with only losing 2 Panzer IVs in return. The MVPs of this game were the half-tracks that destroyed a Daimler with the Pak36 and then survived 3-4 turns of return fire while hunting the Stuarts.
Company commander. I'm loving that trench coat model.


My third game was against Kip's 3rd RTR again in Counter attack. I attacked due to some special rules for the tournament we are going to. Kip's ambush was incredible, destroying a full 5 tank platoon. I failed 5 of 7 infantry saves in one turn. I managed to assault an objective but was broken before I could take it. The game finished with a 5-2 loss.
2iC

Also magnetized.

The list has been working well so far. The 10 stand platoons are really nice as they can weather a few more casualties than 7 or 8 stand Panzergrenadier platoons. The two platoons of 5 Panzer IVs are quite nasty. They can’t hurt bigger tanks from the front and so I will probably add some Panthers into my list for 1900 points. I really enjoy having the 10 full medium tanks as the can definitely take the fight to the opponent. Stormtrooper is especially useful on defence with Panzer IVs as you can take your time more to destroy the opponent’s anti-tank assets when you don’t have the pressure of taking the objective.

Barring anything unforeseen, I should manage to complete this painting challenge by the end of next week. I’ll paint the half-tracks this weekend and finish off the infantry during the week. I’m trying to take my time with the infantry as I want this to be a platoon I am happy with for a long time. Comments and encouragement are greatly appreciated. Thanks for visiting.

18 comments:

  1. Very nice painting! I really love those bases, minimalistic but still so much details in them.

    I wish you good luck to Gottacon. May the dice-goddess be with you, always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't have the dice luck last game so hopefully I will for the tournament.

      Delete
  2. Wow, stunning.
    How do you do the badges on the helmets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks winner. For the badges I paint a black shape. I then add a white stripe for the emblem and then a small red dot in the corner. For the eagle I just add a few vertical white lines.

      Delete
  3. Good lord Cameron... So good to look at these. All the extra effort is so evident.

    Wierd to see PzSchreks on small bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm glad you like them! The Panzerschrecks are tank hunter teams; ROF 1 and two men to a base on a small base. The list can get full ROF2 schreck teams as well.

      Delete
  4. I need to read the rules of the tournament Mech has to attack tanks in some of the scenarios?

    Th infantry looks great! I'm sure you will get them done in time for the tournament. And it looks like your playing is shaping up nicely as well.

    I too have played three practice games with my list. Had a bloody win against tankovy with ISU and IS support which I think is a tough match up for my list. Then had a close loss to a Tiger Company and then smashed a sturm company. I remain very worried about facing an opponent with good tanks but think I should have a good shot against infantry. Also we need to find more allied players locally apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kip and I had a debate about the rules. Zim says some scenarios are a +1 to Allied or German for attacking. I read it as just the case in a roll off (ex. +1 to the dice roll for tank vs tank). Kip read it as the stated team always attacks. I needed to practice attacking so I just attacked anyways.

      I'm hoping to get them all done. Painting the half-tracks now.

      A tiger company would be fun for this tournament. Too bad KG Hummel is not an option. Might do well with less high AT.

      Delete
  5. Looking at the rules. I would say that for some games one side will get +1 to their roll and other times they will automatically win the roll, but only when it is a roll off.

    I think his Tiger company is going to have trouble, he has 5 tigers and 5 panzer 4's and a platoon of infantry, 4 platoons total, no recce, no smoke. 17pdrs and American TD's are going to hurt that. I don't actually know any allied players who are going though so it will be interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From here there are two Allied lists and two German lists going. 3rd RTR British tanks with lots of 17 pounders. Strelkovy horde. A tank list very similar to yours and my panzergrenadiers.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic basing and painting! I really like your clean style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I chose this basing to try to make the figures pop.

      Delete
  7. Wow. The bases, the color and contrast, the paint period! Seriously impressed, and love them. You really show what can be done at this scale when so many people think you can't do the details. Solid work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. You definitely can paint most of the details at this scale. The great thing is you just have to paint things to create the illusion of an object like the helmet decals as they are so small. I hope we see more 15mm from you in the future. I liked that Stuart you painted.

      Delete
  8. It wouldn't take you so long if you didn't make green-stuff pianos to put on the bases. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. True. Its actually from peter pig though. Just the sandbags are greenstuff.

      Delete
  9. Stunning job, creative and beautiful...love your vignette, truly impressive!

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...