The end of February saw the conclusion of the Six Month Mountain Reduction Painting Challenge. I met some of my goals and not others. I reduced the old lead (well, plastic, metal and resin) mountain and minimized my new purchases. I followed some new blogs and got some significant painting done. Read on after the jump for some pictures of the finished models and a summary of the challenge.
The Six Month Mountain Reduction Painting Challenge was a challenge to reduce the number of unpainted models by limiting purchases to two sets of models and painting lots of models. I’ll go through each of the categories and review my performance. I’ll also put links to some of my favourite models in the pictures as we go along. My performance in the challenge was a bit uneven as I moved house and started a new job 1-2 months in to the challenge and so my painting was derailed for a little while.
Goal 1: No new miniatures
…Except for two jokers to buy two blisters, boxes, or sets of models. I actually did pretty well with this one. Half way through I purchased a box with two Imperial Tie Interceptors for X-Wing as I was playing a lot. They came pre-painted too. I also ordered a box of plastic Stugs at the end of the challenge. I still haven’t received them but I will count them as well. So overall I only used two jokers on purchasing models. This was really good as I moved and so I was at risk of increasing the mountain. I also won some models through tournaments and competitions.
Goal 2: One hobby post or Instagram update per week
Well, that whole moving house thing got in the way of my blogging for a while. I had a dry spell in the fall where I was not posting weekly updates. I don’t think I set up a hobby desk in the new house until December. I did start a twitter account though (@RustandtheCity) and posted 120 tweets with game and painting updates since September. I didn’t post every week but did post a lot of updates. Part marks for this one I think.
Goal 3: Reduce the lead mountain
At the start of the challenge I posted a picture of my Flames of War lead mountain. It was embarrassing. I’ve only been playing Flames of War for a few years. I’ve found it is much faster to purchase models than to actually paint them. I made up a chart of my unpainted models. At the start of the challenge I had 98 unpainted models on my list. Over the course of the challenge I painted 43 models and have reduced that number of 98 unpainted models (not including the random new ones added to the list). Even more importantly, I have completed my Panzer to the Meuse tournament list and have a painted Panzergrenadier company done (but needing a few upgrades).
Where do we go from here?
The painting challenge is over. The only change I really made was to not buy many models. I resisted purchasing some small impulsive additions to my German Flames of War force. For 2015 I made the goal of purchasing less than 20 models in total. I’m hoping to stick to that and to finish off all of my Flames of War vehicles by the end of the year. This month I am trying to finish off some last pieces for my Panzergrenadier company. After that I want to paint a few other things for my German Flames of War company. I want to finish off the last of my British tank company models. After the tournament in April I will spend some time painting models that I don’t need for gaming purposes. Gottacon inspired me to paint some models for painting competitions and to paint some more one-off 28 mm models. I’ll try to paint some different projects that are not just for use in games.
Thanks for visiting. Later this week I’ll have some pictures of my completed panzergrenadier platoon. Next week I’ll have some pictures of some recently finished KV-1s and some 251/1 D half-tracks.