Monday, June 8, 2015

6mm GHQ Israeli Vehicles

I recently finished painting some 6mm Israeli vehicles from GHQ. I painted these models to test out the 6mm scale for possible Flames of War Arab Israeli Wars games. In this blog post I will show some pictures of a painted Merkava IV, M113 Zelda, and (possibly) an AMX. I experimented with airbrushing on the 6mm models as well.






With a Battlefront Sherman for scale.

These models are from a GHQ Israeli Sample Pack. The pack came with three vehicles and two little sprues of metal infantry. The casting on the vehicles is incredible. They are extremely detailed and the casting is incredibly crisp. The models are all metal. They even have turrets that turn and move. Most of the models seem to have a one piece hull and a one piece turret (plus machine guns on some models). I can't mention enough how detailed and well cast these models are. They equal or exceed most resin 15mm Battlefront models in level of detail. The scale pictures show how small they are in comparison. The Israeli sample pack has models from different time periods. The Merkava is a pretty modern tank.
Merkava Mark IV. About the size of a King Tiger.

Decals are Dom's Decals 15mm British Tank numbers.

I did some experiments on painting in 6mm on these models. The AMX and Merkava were painted with some basic color modulation. I started with Vallejo Model Color Green Grey and then added Vallejo Model Color Stone Grey to highlight. I then did an edge highlight with Stone Grey and White. On the M113 I didn't do any color modulation. I wanted to see how the 6mm models looked with color modulation. I'm still a bit undecided. It is challenging to get enough contrast on 6mm models. The line highlights only might look better on the tabletop. I'd love to hear some thoughts on to color modulate or not in the comments.
I don't actually know what this tank is...

It has a huge gun.

My local gaming group has briefly discussed playing Arab Israeli Wars in 6mm. The models are cheaper and the scale looks good for the more modern tanks. They are also easier to store. I think we will eventually start playing a Flames of War period in 6mm. The Calgary players are playing Arab Israeli Wars in 6mm so there is a regional player base for a tournament if we went that way. The other thought seems to be waiting for Cold War Gone Hot for a 6mm system. We may end up playing something different like Mid-War in the desert or something like that that we haven't collected or played in 15mm. We will see how the interest develops in the future. Based on the models I would definitely be willing to give it a try.
No color modulation.

I did some tests for the bases. The final formula (one on the left) was VGC Earth-VMC Khaki Grey-VMC Khaki-VMC Iraqui Sand-VMC Ivory (super light dry brush). I then added a little shrubbery and grass from my collection.



Thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear what you think of the 6mm models and playing games in 6mm scale. Color modulation; yay or nay? Let me know what you think in the comments below!

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful! Superb weathering and detail, I'm very envious! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't do as much weathering as usual as the models are so small. I used tamiya weathering master for the dusty tracks.

      Delete
  2. Your 'AMX' looks like a self propelled arty gun rather than a tank. Probably an American made M109 (also known as a Paladin). The Israeli's use these as well - as do quite a few NATO countries.

    Great looking minis, really nice job you have done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a M109 155mm self-propelled howitzer

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M109_howitzer

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the information guys! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. they look great. i'd say yea on the color modulation. the two models that have it look like they'd stand out a bit better on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. I'm leaning that way too. It matches my 15mm painting style too.

      Delete
  4. I prefer without modulation. From far away on the tabletop, the modulation will be lost to the eye.

    Bloody well painted though mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm still undecided but leaning towards modulation for the challenge and as a way to differentiate my models. This all depends on my gaming group deciding to play games in 6mm as well.

      Delete
  5. [Your painting of them goes without saying, but] my gosh, the detail on those sculpts is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drax, the detail is amazing. Very crisp casts. Not much flash. Lots of detail. They take washes well. Very impressive overall.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, GHQ's detail is amazing and there is like no flash. They are artists with molds.

    When painting micro, I tend to cheat. Paint it one shade too light, then hit it with an ink wash. It works surprisingly well, and is really quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ghq models are great. 6mm cab definitely be quickly painted for the tabletop.

      Delete
  7. Bloody nice work! I have some GHQ Arab-Israeli stuff sitting in my pile...oh dear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You should paint some of them for the 6mmrpc challenge! I'd love to see them.

      Delete
  8. Very nice work Cameron! Thanks for sharing.

    You should post some photos on the GHQ Forum... folks will love your painting style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll have to check out the ghq forum.

      Delete
  9. I love the color modulation sample. I think you should use color modulation where it will show up he most, and just use dusting on the other areas. You've peaked my interest in 6mm now. Your blog is like a drug. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. Thanks for the comments, John. I'm pretty interested in 6mm too.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...