The model in from the new Plastic Soldier Company Panzer 38t kit. The kit makes 2 marder variants and the Panzer 38t. The kit was well cast with almost no mold lines that needed removing. The detail on the kit is quite astounding. There must be over 200 tiny little rivets on this model. My biggest complaint is that I think the kit is still too many pieces. They have moved to a full one piece track (which is great) but the hull and turret are many individual pieces. The main part of the turret has each side, back, and front as separate pieces. The pieces fit together very well but it would be nicer for assembly if there were a few less.
|I did an experiment with pigment fixer on the exhaust. It worked well but reacted funny with the varnish. I'll touch it up before the competition.|
This was the first time that I used the actual PSC tank commander from the sprue. PSC has been moving more towards the exaggerated detail of Battlefront style models recently. The detail on the crew is very good with some nice different styles of panzer wraps and things. The details are still much smaller than Battlefront's tank commanders. I painted this tank commander at the same time as some Battlefront ones. While painting I found it difficult to differentiate the parts of the uniform as the detail is not very pronounced one the model. The actual proportions are a little more realistic than Battlefront models.
|PSC tank commander. Details are smaller than on Battlefront tank commanders.|
I painted this model by roughly following the German Grey colours from the Vallejo AFV colour set (but buying the full colours I didn't already have). I really liked this set of colours as the colours all have a rich blue hue of grey. I primed the model black. I then airbrushed 71.054 Dark Grey Blue over most of the model. For this model, I used panel highlighting and airbrushed successively lighter patches in the middle of each panel. The next highlight was 71.053 Dark Seagreen. Next, I added a small highlight with 71.048 Dark Sea Grey followed by 71.046 Pale Grey Blue. Finally, I added a tiny further highlight with Pale Grey Blue mixed with a little white. The tank was very light at this point. I added an edge highlight with a brush using the same mix as the final airbrush step. I then did a few layers of MIG filter for German Grey to darken and blend the colours.
|You can see how light the model was before the filter and washes.|
The base is made from a scrap piece of Mahogany wood. I used a router to add a rounded edge and then oiled and varnished the wood. I masked off the sides while I modelled and painted the top for the diorama. The idea for the diorama is a regimental tank driving somewhere in Russia during Operation Barbarossa. I wanted to portray the start of winter when everything has frozen and tanks can drive on the roads again.