Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Battlefront Panzer IVs in plastic

I'm away on vacation at the moment but before leaving I finished 7 panzer IVs for a commission. These models are Battlefront's new plastic Panzer IV Hs. Models are painted with colour modulation and include the new plastic tank commanders. This blog post will include some pictures of the tanks and a discussion on the new plastic models.




These models are the new plastic Panzer IV Hs from Battlefront. Battlefront's new plastic tanks are quickly becoming my favorite 15mm vehicles. The tanks assembled relatively quickly. The detail is a little more pronounced than on Plastic Soldier Company models. These models have been built with assembly in mind with details like one piece tracks. The zimmerit is nicely sculpted. It is definitely out of scale but is nice and easy to paint. These models shipped with the correct 5 panel schurzen.

To be honest, I don't think there are too many downsides to the newer Battlefront kits. Some people prefer the weight of resin and metal but I think the crisp casting of the plastic models outweighs this. I didn't really like how the gun assembled, with two pieces for the top and bottom of the base of the gun. My biggest complaint with these models is probably that they lack many options for stowage to customize individual models. I wish Battlefront would add a few more pieces of plastic stowage (as they have with the Stug kit, sort of) or produce a stowage and accessory sprue for each nation (like with tank commanders) to throw into each box. A small complaint, but armies could end up looking very similar without stowage.
I used the plastic tank commanders for these models. I really love the plastic infantry and tank commanders. They have much more detail than the old metal sculpts. In a month or two I want to put a tutorial up on how I paint German tank commanders.
These models were painted to match the KG Peiper commission I did last year. You can see the other models from that commission by clicking the Peiper label to the right side. There are still a few more models to come from this commission.


Finally, here are some sneak previews of the upcoming models for this commission.

Not too much else to say. I'm off on vacation until the start of August so you'll see more posts from me then. I've got this commission to finish, some models for a tournament list, and then you may see a bit of a change of direction on this blog... Thanks for visiting!

23 comments:

  1. The PSC tanks seem to come with lots of stowage. I have tons of FOW stuff to build/paint, so won't pick any up but their marders seem really nice. A lot of people in my group here are not doing much in the way of playing FOW, so I sold five of my buildings. Four of them I had painted and detailed up. But it helped fund my Skitarii, so I can't be too upset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PSC Ones have some stowage which is nice. I wish they had a few more tarps and helmets and things. I have 4 of the PSC marders just waiting for paint.

      Delete
  2. Very nice as always Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben. I'm really liking all the new plastic kits.

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    Drax here.

    Utterly irrelevant to this post, but in case you ARE interested in getting into Bolt Action, now is a good time: I just got an email from Warlord to say they're giving away a free plastic infantry box set with main rulebooks until the end of the month...

    Jus' sayin'...

    - Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Drax. I'd been thinking about bolt action. It is more models than I want to paint. If it were around ten infantry and a vehicle then I would play it.

      Delete
    2. Drax, you bugger. You dirty bugger....

      Delete
    3. Hahahaha. Those sales. They always rope you in if you are on the fence.

      Delete
    4. Bloody went and got a book...

      Delete
    5. Hahaha. Books don't break 6mmrpc, but do the free minis...?

      Delete
    6. Tee-hee! I'm sure you won't regret it, mate: game's a breath of fresh air and the plastic minis are awesome too!

      Delete
  4. Man Cameron - since I first started following your work, your level of quality paintjobs has just gotten better and better. These look seriously fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. That is a very nice compliment. I'm always striving to improve my painting. The clean lines of the plastic models helps out with how I like to paint.

      Delete
  5. These are awesome! I've yet to jump in on the BF plastics, but maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I'm a huge fan of the newer battlefront plastics. A huge step up from the open fire tanks. In my opinion, my order of preference is BF plastics>PSC plastics>BF resin.

      One downside of plastic models is that they won't work as well with drybrushing the whole model.

      Delete
  6. Looking really awesome! But to be honest I really don't like the Zimmerit. I don't know why everybody seems to add it to it's plastic vehicles but it simply doesn't look right in plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am torn on the zimmerit myself. For painting, if it is going to be there I like high relief like this so it can be painted neatly. The stuff that is more to scale is just messy to paint. I would have preferred the model without zimmerit, but I am glad they kept it to just a few surfaces.

      Delete
    2. What is best, historical placement but out of scale or omitted? I don't have the answer.

      Delete
  7. Great minis Cameron, I wonder if the zim' could be toned down with the careful use of a wire-wheel in the dremel? May take away from the rigid uniform look...

    Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy. You could, but it would still be too big to be to scale. Plastic can be annoying with things like that when it fuzzes. I am excited to see when you do this modification!

      Delete
    2. Yes I know what you mean about the plastic.
      I'm thinking that one could use the spare barrels from the StuG plastic kit - there are five 7.5cm extras, to counter the 2 part barrels but you have done a great job.

      Troy

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...