Tuesday, August 18, 2015

15cm Nebelwerfer Platoon and Tactics

This post will show some pictures of a recently painted 15cm Nebelwerfer platoon for Flames of War. I'll also share my experiences with the tactical uses of 15cm Nebs in Flames of War games. These models are Battlefront's metal 15cm Nebelwerfers. This platoon is the second platoon in this commission which includes the Panzer IVs I showed last month and builds on the Kampfgruppe Peiper commission I completed last year.

These models are Battlefront's 15cm Nebelwerfer platoon. I painted the models in the same style as all of my German infantry. I'm planning to take some pictures for some tutorials on how I painted German infantry and tank commanders in the next few weeks. The models are based to match the other models from the first part of the commission and use the same method as in my basing British infantry tutorial. (I'm going to make a tutorial on how I paint my German urban bases in the next few weeks as well, as long as I remember to photograph when I airbrush them!)
Some of the pictures aren't the best. Old camera is focussing poorly. Newer camera is having some issues after our vacation.

15cm Nebelwerfers have become an auto-include in all of my German lists. I use them so much I've thought about purposely leaving them out of lists as they have almost become a bit of a crutch. They are so efficient and versatile that I always include them in my Panzer and Panzergrenadier lists. I'll discuss a few of my favourite roles for them here.


Points efficiency
The points efficiency may be one of the best things about 15cm Nebelwerfers in Flames of War. Nebelwerfers are totally bare bones so you aren't paying points for many things you don't need. At 105 points for most Confident Veteran platoons (and 70 for Reluctant Trained in Devil's Charge Digital) they are the perfect price for their role. With only 3 guns, command and 1 observer you aren't paying extra points for observers or a fourth gun. You don't pay for direct fire capabilities or gun shields. At only 105 points you can leave them in reserve and not worry about the lost efficiency. Even if they are your last platoon on the board and don't shoot they are an efficient choice for a platoon to put in reserve.


Smoke
In my opinion, smoke is the number one reason to take a Nebelwerfer platoon. Smoke has so many uses. You can smoke anti-tank guns to render them essentially unable to fire. You can smoke observers for nasty artillery early in the game. You can smoke a tank platoon so it has to move to shoot you (especially fun with hen and chicks). You can smoke an infantry platoon to increase your chances of getting into the assault (minimizing defensive fire, remember only concealment by smoke in defensive fire though) and then have some lovely concealing smoke to consolidate into after crushing your enemies with your assault. My favourite use of smoke is probably to smoke big nasty tanks like King Tigers and SU-100s. Your little 105 point platoon can greatly negate an expensive enemy tank and frustrate your opponent.


Bombardments
With anti-tank 3 and firepower 4+, the 15cm Nebelwerfer bombardment is a decent medium bombardment. Your opponents won't fear them the same way as heavy artillery and time on target artillery, but they are still a potential threat. They can modify behaviour by making your opponent spread out their infantry a little more. If you get really lucky, you may even catch an infantry platoon bunched up in the open (this happened to me a few weeks ago...). Most importantly, a successful hit on a bombardment will pin infantry based gun, infantry and artillery teams. You can use your Nebs to get an important pin before an assault or stop opposing artillery by pinning them down.


As with all good things, Nebelwerfers do still have some downsides. With no gun shields, no direct fire (other than firing as rifle teams), and little mobility they can be easy prey to vehicles. Stuarts, recce, and any medium tank can prey on vulnerable Nebs. I usually figure that if the opponent is at the point where he is in the backfield attacking my Nebelwerfers then the game is probably decided (and not in my favour!). You can mitigate this by positioning them in a place where they can be supported by your other troops or behind your main axis of advance so they are not as exposed.

I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts on Nebelwerfers and enjoyed the pictures of this freshly painted platoon. Check back in the next few weeks for lots more painted models. The blog has been quiet but I have been painting a lot lately. I have a general, 8-rads and a recovery vehicle from this commission still to share. After that I have some Pak40s and things I am painting for Attack-X in September. Thoughts on Nebs and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated. Thanks for visiting!

EDIT: I have two flames of war eBay listings at the moment. I have 5 panther A and 3 Tigers for sale on eBay. The links can be found on my twitter feed at the top right of this page. :-)

14 comments:

  1. Holy crap Cameron.... eyes!?? O_o You are crazy.

    Amazing work and I do like the extreme highlights you use.

    Nebs in my experience are Great (!) in assualts.... My regular opponent's nebs in a single game alone killed off a Churchill and a Crusader with no casualties in return.... *facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai.

      Sadly my nebs haven't ever done anything except get destroyed in assaults.

      Delete
    2. You probably don't roll as badly as I do so that even a lowly Neb can bounce your tank assault!! ^_^

      Delete
    3. Haha, not yet! A friend had three tanks blown up by TA 2 infantry in 1 round of assault in a game last week.

      Delete
  2. Very very nice looking unit. Interesting note on the unit as well, it had never occurred to me that they cannot direct fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they only have a bombardment stat. Really though, you have enough to do with them with bombarding only. No need really for direct fire too. Sometimes I wish I could have 2 batteries so I could do 2 neb things each turn. Smoke everywhere!

      Delete
  3. Nebs are the no-brainer of every German list, so useful and almost every list gets access to them. The Rocket Artillery rule also increases your chance at hitting and possibly killing things, since it won't matter which attempt you range in on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the rocket rules make them faster and simpler to shoot! I'm glad some EW lists have them now too.

      Delete
  4. Great looking units, love your detailed paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're great at blocking river crossings too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. We're those nebs or mortars? I really should have put my armour on the side without the river...

      Maybe we will have a chance to play at attack-x. Hungarian infantry?

      Delete
    2. They were nebs :).

      I'll be there bro, bringing Hungarian armor again.

      Delete
    3. Panthers or lots of zyrinis?

      I'm bringing atlantik wall panzergrenadiers again. Just gotta finish some pak40s... I hate painting gun teams.

      Hopefully we get to play against each other.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...