Thursday, September 17, 2015

Flames of War 8-rads

These two 8-rads are the final models for the commission I was working on. The models are safely in their new home. It just took me a few weeks to edit the photos and put the pictures up. The models are 8-rad armoured cars from Battlefront Miniatures for Flames of War. More pictures after the jump!

These models were the final two models for the second part of the Kampfgruppe Peiper commission. You can see the rest of the models by clicking on the peiper tag (or this link).

I was a little apprehensive about painting the 8-rads. The stock photos on the Battlefront website make them look like they sit quite high. I'm not sure if this is an older cast or not. These models were quick to assemble and had great lines for painting. Wheeled recce vehicles always have a soft spot in my heart. They just look so awkward.


I have two 8-rads of my own that need some paint as well. I need to retrofit my lists for Mid-War and Italy. 8-rads are a nice recce option that fits into most lists. In Late War they are especially good value. My Pumas get into trouble with their AT9 guns. The 8-rad shouldn't have that problem as much.
The completed commission. I think this earns me a joker :-).
Be sure to check out the first post for the Firestorm: Caen campaign I am starting up November 1st. There are some exciting sponsors and prizes on board as well. I'm undecided if I will end up playing with my Germans or 11th AD for the campaign. The 11th AD needs a little work.

Thanks for visiting my corner of the internet today. I've been assembling some Malifaux models after playing a demo at Attack-X last weekend. Expect to see quite a few painted Malifaux models in the next few weeks. I've also got some Pak40s to share on the blog. I just need to decide if I will paint the last one before posting or not. Hasta luego!

12 comments:

  1. Very nice!

    German 8-wheeled armoured cars are, IMO, some of the most aesthetically attractive to come out of the war.

    CdlT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find them a bit more awkward than attractive. I'm quite fascinated by wheeled vehicles, especially with so many wheels!

      Delete
    2. Yes...wheels. Eight per vehicle plus a spare on the 234/1s I just did, so nine each x seven vehicles...63 wheels to paint. I hate painting bloody wheels.

      CdlT

      Delete
    3. Hahaha. I know the pain. I don't mind painting wheels like these (although it is too easy to make a mistake while painting them for some reason...). I really hate painting road wheels on vehicles with tracks. I think shermans are the worst road wheels. I try not to think about how many of those little wheels there are.

      Delete
  2. Love the army shot. Everything looks so good together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I have trouble getting good light for army pictures. Maybe I need to make an army size photo box...

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous stuff! Do love this style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen. The 8-rads are pretty cool little vehicles.

      Delete
  4. These fit in well with the other tanks and so forth from the commission. German Recce in FoW is so much better than it's British counterparts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Armoured cars are lots of fun to play with. Sadly they are often an easy vp for the enemy.

      Delete
    2. Especially when there's only 2 in the platoon. :/

      Delete
    3. Yeah, and three in a platoon and they are just too expensive. I'd like to play a puma or recce company at a wins only (no vp) tournament.

      Maybe I should do it anyways. VP only matters if you are in the running for first!

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...