Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Mad Max Car Conversion and Diorama

Like many hobbyists, after seeing Mad Max: Fury Rod I started seeing every toy car as a potential Mad Max conversion. After finding a suitable car I set about converting it with different bits I had sitting around. I then painted it up and built a small diorama display base for the model. In this blog post I'll share some pictures of the completed model and base.



I'd be totally remiss if I didn't point you to where I got a lot of the inspiration for this model. Dave Taylor is well known for his wonderful painting and conversions. He's been building and painting Mad Max cars at a furious rate the last few months. Check out his work here: Dave Taylor Miniatures.


This model was lots of fun to build and paint. I didn't have the right car and bits to make a car from the movie and so I improvised with the things I had sitting around. I used some tracks from a Zvezda KV-1 for the tracks. I used a dremel to dissect the car and rebuild it to fit the tracks. I then used a bunch of stowage and bits and guns from various 15mm and 28mm kits to add lots of detail to the model. The base model is (I think) a 1957 Cadillac from Mattel (Hot Wheels?).


See if you can figure out all of the different parts attached to the model!


I painted the model in a similar technique to that used on most of my 15mm Flames of War vehicles. I used some colour modulation over the black to add some interest to the larger panels (it was supposed to be black, I went too light with the highlights). For the metal I used lots of drybrushing and washes to paint the two different types of metal. I used enamel washes and my trusty Tamiya model master set to add dust to the tracks.



The display base is built from a piece of fence post from a recent home improvement project. I thought recycling some wood was a very fitting thing for a Mad Max inspired piece. I used some Dark Walnut Danish Oil to stain the wood. The stain reacted a bit with the chemicals on the pressure treated wood, creating the interesting streaks on the wood.



The symbol was made by printing a symbol from google and then cutting it out of foamed PVC with an exacto knife. This took a really long time. I then painted it like the chrome areas on the car.



I'm going to enter this little piece into the vehicle category (or diorama if the base is to big!) at the Sage Brush Painting Competition at Attack-X in a few weeks. I don't think it will compare to the better painted and larger 40k models but I have been wanting to enter more pieces into painting competitions and this is a good excuse.


I'd love to hear what you think of this model. If you haven't seen it already, I'm going to host an online Firestorm: Caen campaign starting November 1st. Come back soon as I have some 8-rads, a Sedition Wars model, and an Octopus to share on the blog. Thanks for visiting!

19 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm astonished to see that you seem to have had the same idea I did, only in a smaller scale. I built a Cadillac Eldorado on KV-1 tracks about a month ago, in 1/32 and crewed by Orks. Even the color matches: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?410006-Mad-Mork-A-Fury-Road-Inspired-Ork-Log&p=7512075&viewfull=1#post7512075
    Obviously, I approve. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious. I hadn't seen your thread. I randomly found the car at the farmers market and the tracks were the only extra ones I had that fit. I can't believe how similar they are.

      Your models look great. A perfect conversion with orks.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It's just the weirdest thing, I ordered my Cadillac from Japan, and when I decided to put it on tracks, the KV-1 was the cheapest 1/48 scale tank kit I could find on ebay. It's amazing that we'd arrive at such similar results.

      Delete
    3. It truly is because it is a very random combination.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the re-make, but that is a really great conversion! Love the 3.7cm mount.

    CdlT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The movie is really good. I don't usually love action movies but I really enjoyed fury road. The 3.7cm is out of scale but I figure it works as a different gun in this scale.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I've been working on mad max cars myself, 1/32 ish scale, intending to use them as city terrain/vehicles for necromunda and racing games:
    http://i.imgur.com/klLXPbG.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work, Ian. They match the Necromunda and Chaos cultist aesthetics perfectly.

      Delete
  5. Bloody great effort! Would fit perfectly in the film.

    Reminds me of the Bullet Town leaders mobile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It was really fun to build and paint. I have another one sitting around that I still want to paint. I think it would run fairly slow with those huge tracks.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dai. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It was really fun to build and paint. I have another one sitting around that I still want to paint. I think it would run fairly slow with those huge tracks.

      Delete
  6. That's awesome Cameron. Glad to see you have been working at Post Apocalyptic projects; Now I'll be able to run off with all your sweet ideas :). Have you checked out This is Not a Test? If not it's a really cool set of dark future skirmish rules that rock. I'm slowly churning out a raider band but I'm in serious need of terrain schooling so paying you a visit was a necessity. Great stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks horrid. I'd heard of this is not a test from the beyond enemy lines podcast. Sounds like a cool game.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...