Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Flames of War Pak40 Platoon

Last week I attended the Attack-X Flames of War tournament in Kamloops, BC. I quickly painted this Pak40 platoon the week before to add some extra punch to my Panzergrenadier list. In this post I'll show some pictures of the Pak40s and discuss their role in the Panzergrenadier list.




These models are the plastic Pak40s from the Open Fire box set. I added a few extra crew from half-tracks and the new plastic panzergrenadiers. I have another Pak40 fully assembled and partially painted. I just didn't have time to finish it before the convention. The Open Fire Pak40s were tough to assemble. Luckily I had four guns. I believe that Battlefront has since changed the model a little to make them more sturdy. I magnetized my Pak40s so that they would be less likely to break in transit.
I based this platoon to be fighting from a damaged store front. I was struggling with how to base them. Glen told me, tounge in cheek, to paint them in a shop. I thought about it a bit and came up with a plan to do so. The base texture is textured plasticard. The walls are made from foamed PVC that I etched and carved to add the detail. The windows are made from plasticard. The bricks are a mix of plasticard and Pegasus bricks. The extra details are bits and bobs from a wide variety of different kits.


This platoon was an addition to my standard Atlantik Wall Panzer Lehr Panzergrenadier list. At Gottacon I ran the Panzer IV horde. Last tournament I ran Panthers but found them too much of a target. This time I tried running 10 Panzer IVs and 2 Pak40s for anti-tank duties. I went 2-2-1 in the tournament overall. The Pak40s weren't very effective. A third Pak40 would have really bolstered their effectiveness. The Pak40s brought me to 7 platoons. I kampfgrupped a Pak40 or 3 Panzergrenadier stands in games with reserves to get to 8 platoons (allowing 4 on the board). 2 Pak40s is not enough firepower for ambush. As a tank player, I am still learning to use more stationary guns as well. I don't think they destroyed many tanks all weekend.


I painted these models to match my other Late War Germans. Next time I play them I will have to take a group shot of them all together. I enjoy playing them. I just wish I could attack more and defend less. For defence, some heavier anti-tank would be helpful. Sadly, the Atlantik Wall list doesn't have access to any very points effective high AT or any airplanes.



This project is almost completely finished. I just need to paint 3 more Panthers, 1 Pak40, and 3 Panzerschreck stands before I would consider them totally complete. I'll need them soon, as I need to earn another joker for the 6 Month Mountain Reduction Painting Challenge. It may take a back seat to some other projects on the horizon; Mid-War in my gaming group, Malifaux, and some commissions.
As always, thanks for visiting everyone. Your feedback and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Remember to check back on October 1st for details on how to register for the Firestorm: Caen campaign and some updates on prizes!

16 comments:

  1. Congrats on another beautiful platoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Now I just need to finish the final one...

      Delete
  2. I am always floored by the little diorama's you make for your units...they are gorgeous...so flipping gorgeous. Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I appreciate the kind words. I figured if I had to use the large bases then I should make use of the footprint. It is fun to make them.

      Delete
  3. Those look great...very dynamic unit. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stanley. I was hoping to make them stand out.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful job, never seen such a beautiful base before...Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. That is very high praise! The large bases relative to the models make them like small dioramas on each base.

      Delete
  5. I really like the little dioramas you have going on here. Your painting is always outstanding. The displays push everything over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I've been trying to improve my basing and tie everything together. I experimented with having the diorama not on right angles on these bases.

      Delete
  6. Very Nice! Great work on the basing too.

    The Plastic PaK 40s are the same: they are very nice models except for the legs breaking very, very easily, and the bracket on the gun is too thick and needs trimming to look more like the real thing. To remove the guns properly and to avoid breaking, cut them from the sprue with an older blade heated over a candle flame, then do clean-up from there.

    CdlT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The casting wasn't the best on these plastic crew so the faces aren't as neat as usual.

      I should have done the hot blade trick. Didn't even think of it. They are really tough to assemble. I broke 1 of each piece in total. I just hope none of them break now they are painted...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I remember doing those guns, it was ugly!

      Delete
    3. Ha-ha, yeah. Tricky models for sure.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...