Monday, September 7, 2015

Sedition Wars Male Drone

This is another one of those models I started painting years ago and didn't finish. I've been painting some of them lately as they are a great way to change things up. They're already assembled, primed, sometimes basecoated, and ready to paint. I'd already painted about half of this model but I went back and completely repainted it. This model is a metal Male Drone for Sedition Wars and is produced by Studio McVey. 




I originally purchased this model in 2012 (I think) when Sedition Wars was on Kickstarter. I bought the Biohazard Kickstarter. I was really excited by the models and ordered this metal drone model separately to paint up. Three years later, the model was really fun to paint. The detail has lots of definition and the sculpt is quite interesting. I still dislike metal models though. While painting one of the arms fell off and had to be reglued.


I didn't ever get in to Sedition Wars. I got a little carried away with the Kickstarter hype. As people started receiving their copies I heard stories of unbalanced rules and poor mould lines on the "Restic" models. I ended up recently listing the unopened game for sale on eBay. I still have a few of the models from the Kickstarter extras that I am planning to paint up.

 It's a little hard to see, but I painted the gun barrel with some heat staining. I used a tutorial from the excellent blog From the Warp. Sadly Ron is no longer blogging. He has lots of wonderful tutorials and painted models to check out.

This model was a bit of a palette cleanser for me. I was feeling a little burned out on painting 15mm models and the bulky detail of this model was a nice change of pace. I also wanted to experiment a bit with a different skin tone for 28mm models. I started with Vallejo Model Color Chocolate Brown and added Vallejo Game Color Dwarf Skin and then white for highlights. I'm interested to hear what people think of the skin. I also tried painting orange clothing for the first time, using GW Macharius Solar Orange (or something like that) mixing in some Stone Grey to mute the bright orange and then mixing white for highlights. I'd prefer to desaturate the orange more for future iterations. The model was a bit of a test for a metal, orange, turquoise and flesh colour scheme for a future potential project. Your thoughts would be appreciated.


I printed off some new photo backgrounds for this model. In moving I had misplaced my other coloured backgrounds. I printed the pdfs for this background from Corvus Miniatures.

The plastic bases that come with the Sedition Wars models are really great. I wish that all companies made some nice stock plastic bases like these. They have great detail and are really easy to paint. If they had the GW signature bevelled edge they would be perfect. Unfortunately they have more of a straight side. I painted these ones by airbrushing the grey and then painting the metal by hand. Very quick and easy.
 

Thanks for visiting and reading my ramblings on painting and palette cleansers and things. That's one more model removed from the lead mountain of doom (TM). It doesn't fulfill any progress towards any projects but it was fun to improve my painting and try some new techniques. As always, your thoughts, comments, and ideas are greatly appreciated!

8 comments:

  1. Really excellently done model here. I don't play this game, but the rendering of the flesh tones and metals is very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. It was a fun model to experiment on.

      Delete
  2. I won a copy of Sedition Wars at one of the painting competitions at Strategies Games, and was really impressed with the sculpts. The details on them look a bit more fiddly than the chunkiness that I've gotten used to from GW sculpts, so I haven't yet tackled them yet, but your work is pretty inspiring (love how you managed to give it a weathered look, but still make the colours pop). I may try them out some time soon. I recall seeing the game demo-ed at Darren's shop by the game designer, and it seemed like a fun game to play as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thabjs kelly. The models in the box are quite detailed. They are that restic plastic resin hybrid. It's tricky to clean the mold lines. I have a bunch that I have been putting off assembling.

      I'd say this model is nearly as chunky as gw models. The ones in the box are much slighter than gw humans.

      Delete
  3. This fellow looks great. The skin and orange work really well together with the metallics to break it all up.

    I backed the Kickstarter..... Wish I hadn't. Restic is a horror to work with and the mold
    lines on the figs were indeed terrible. Aside from putting together enough minis to try the game out, (It was okay, though not one that had me thirsting for replay.) the whole set has sat in my cupboard ever since. Sad considering the hype and hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour scheme was straight from an Ali McVey tutorial, so I can't take any credit for that :-).

      I feel pretty much the same about the kickstarter. The issues with the models and gameplay after release totally turned me away from the game. I haven't even taken the shrink wrap off of my box. It's a pity as the resin versions of the models look great. The artwork is great. I can't bring myself to assemble all of those models. I assembled one last week. Still had a huge mold line left after cleaning. Better as gaming figures but definitely not up to plastic tabletop gaming standards.

      Delete
  4. Nice work on this model.

    I do really like the McVey resin and metal sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree. I have the resin Kara sitting ready for paint. Maybe I'll paint her this weekend. Too bad the restic material is not nicer.

      Delete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...