Monday, June 20, 2016

Iron Painter: Convict gunslinger and Large Arachnid

The theme for the final round of Wyrd's Iron Painter competition was "critters". I didn't have any other critters on hand so I painted the new plastic large arachnid in a duel with the convict gunslinger. Conveniently they were both models I wanted to paint for my crews and I had both. Read on for some pictures of the finished diorama and individual models.



This was the final round of Iron Painter. You can see my other entries by clicking on this link. As this was the last round I found this entry a challenge to paint. I've been working on the entries for this competition for several months now. This entry was one of the most challenging as I had  so little spare time. I only finished painting the model 8 hours before the deadline. I stayed up until 1 am trying to get a decent picture.

The composite image for the competition.
I tried a few new things with each model. The base was an experiment to see how well I could recess the resin bases into a matching display base. The convict gunslinger was my first attempt at painting stripes like that. I painted the whole cloth area white and shaded and highlighted it before doing the same to the black stripes.



The large arachnid fit like a jigsaw puzzle to assemble. I painted it in metallics to match my other Ramos models. It isn't very painterly for the painting competition part though. I didn't have near enough time to really get in to blending each surface for good true metallic metals.


I'm pleased to have finished entries for every round of the competition. My goal at the start was to survive in bronze until the end. I'm in the bronze tier but I think I will lose this round as my competitor has produced a very nicely painted piece.


Be sure to visit again soon. I have some German AA nearly done and some more Malifaux models to paint before a tournament in July. As always, thank you for your comments and support. The comments and interactions with everyone who stops by are often what motivates me to finish my projects. Thanks!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful models. I wish these particular bases weren't beveled. Flat edges would have given you a much closer fitment and not created those large black rings. Wonderfully done regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the biggest downside to the rounded edge base. Doesn't fit as well when you try to blend it in to a display piece.

      Delete
  2. Damn fine work. And way to pile on the stress by painting black and white and skin tones on the same mini under the pressure of a deadline o_O Came out great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. It was was tricky for sure.

      Delete
  3. Whilst perhaps not your best work, they "are" very lovely mate and the composition of the scene set is pretty good. Gives me the feel of a Cowboy Beebop anime style standoff.

    You've done really well to keep up this production rate too throught the challenge - good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely not my best. The arachnid was challenging to paint. Would have taken another 8 hours to shade the metal how I wanted to.

      It has been a real challenge to keep going for so long with such intense projects. I'm glad it's done but I'm already looking at other contests to enter...

      On the plus side, painting for ha,in models seems quite low pressure by comparison now :-)

      Delete
    2. My god Cam "another 8 hours" I can paint an army in eight hours ;) They both look spectacular!

      Delete
    3. Hahahaha. Yeah. I'm jealous of that. An army takes me most of a year...

      Delete
  4. Well, it impresses the hell outta me!

    What scale are these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are 32mm scale. Slightly taller and more slender than say Bolt Action models or GW Guardsmen.

      Delete
  5. Spectacular! The shading is wonderful...Don't know how you so it on such a small scale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the slow replies. Lots of your replies got caught in the spam filter!

    ReplyDelete

More from Rust and the City:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...